Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Ha-Ha -- Thought you would get a good laugh out of that posting.... While we have 4 honda's 250K+ miles each, I really dislike the Farting Honda's that kids drive today, And I also call them "Fart-Mobiles" too! I don't know why they think that is cool....
Old 05-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Nipper Rules

cars

got a 98 Camry great on gas... and something not so great on gas, even with the practically base 283 motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5280112.jpg (76.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Procrastination Expert

I'm a bit of a watercooled VW / Diesel engine nut. Currently our fleet is down to the 99.5 Jetta TDI w/ 290,000 miles, the 91 Mercedes 350SDL w/ 230,000, an 03 F350 6.0 that doesn't get driven now that it needs headgaskets, and a 12 Passat TDI we picked up just over a year ago... almost 30,000 miles on it already!

The Passat has been flawless ad we really enjoy it... it's as big inside as the MB but gets almost 50 MPG on the highway instead of almost 30. Dad got the 99.5 new and sold it to me on my 21st birthday. The MB is currently all taken apart for an AC rebuild / valve body shift kit install. I hope to get it back on the road tomorrow!!!

I've also had an 85 Jetta 1.8 gas (best $180 car ever!), a 92 Jetta ECOdiesel (saved it from the junkyard, only 140,000 miles on it!), and a 91 Jetta ECOdiesel. The 91 was my first "tinker car" and ran great, even though it had just under 430,000 miles. Sadly a 17 year old girl driving mom's van totaled it while it was parked... that was the impetus for buying the Passat so I can't say it worked out all bad.

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253927

Thank goodness for good service manuals!

-Jason
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

1961 VW Bus

1976 Porsche 911S

2012 Fiat 500
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Ha-Ha -- Thought you would get a good laugh out of that posting.... While we have 4 honda's 250K+ miles each, I really dislike the Farting Honda's that kids drive today, And I also call them "Fart-Mobiles" too! I don't know why they think that is cool....
If you ever need anything for your Hondas, let me know, I'll be glad to MORE than help you....I work for www.oemacuraparts.com

Incidentally, I went to Carquest today, and they are now carrying the Acura/Honda DW-1 synthetic transmission fluid in stock, much to my surprise. I think it was $7.99 a quart, which is dirt cheap compared to dealer MSRP.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Learning as I go

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4WD club cab that my parent gave me. It has been sitting around for a few years not really being driven after they got new cars. Now to get a license!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Username, what year is your Dakota? One of these days I'm going to need to replace my 96. I really like the looks of the last models (really, it is the only late model vehicle that I kinda like) but haven't heard what mileage they were getting. Guess they all came with the 3.7. I get a very consistent 22mpg now; worst was 16 during a snowstorm, best was just shy of 25 on a long stretch of flat interstate. Tall gearing.

The Fordor should be getting over 20, according to old road tests from the 50s, but I'm only getting in the 13's. I blame the stuck heat riser for at least part of that; I really need to check the timing and points gap, and rebuild the carb.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Our daily drivers are our 91 Accord 408,000 miles, currently waiting for me to do a valve job on because of a chipped valve in #4 cylinder. Happened this Feb. on a trip back from the airport. Great car, 34mpg painted her in 2010.

The 86 Prelude was supposed to be the kid's car, but she decided she didn't want to work, and we decided she didn't need to drive, so the little blue car became our backup. Also around 33mpg. 170,000 miles

The Dodge is an 88, factory High Definition model with the larger breaks all around larger wheels, and some other stuff. I found the build sheet under the seat one year. She has 2WD, the first automatic overdrive for that model, spit injection, variable rear break adjustment with load which works really well. She does just under 20 around town, and 27 on the highway, I keep all our cars to 60 tops to keep the mpg up, and the wear down. She has 118K miles, I got her in 93 I believe, she was owned by an electrician, I think she had just got over 97K miles when I got her. So she has an easy life of trips to the gravel pit 5 miles away once every 3 years, a few trips to Home Depot, etc. While I have owned her she was never out in the snow. While the paint is not looking good, there is no underneath rust. The green car got painted first because its the wife's car, and she complained about the rust and faded paint more than the Dodge does.... This year I had to change the radiator, all the hoses, and drive belts, they were all original up to this year. While I love Honda's I would buy this Dodge again.

By the way, Love the 51 Ford! I had a friend in High School who had a 53, we use to sneak into the drive in with 4 in the trunk....!

A 89 Accord 250K miles and a 89 Prelude 248K miles not in the picture are also in the mix, but they didn't wanna be in the picture....

Captain - I'll check them out! I get some parts by dealers online....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg what-we-drive.jpg (97.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Username 1!
I thought I was the only one raised by hard-nosed parents.
Secondly: What engine is in your '88 Dakota? The 4 cylinder?
I had a '91 with a 5.2. I don't think, I ever got over 20 mpg, empty.
IIRC, they had the 3.9 out at the time, which is a 5.2, with two less cylinders.
Regarding the newer Dakotas, they use both the 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 SOHC, newer design engines.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, the 3.9 is a sliced down 318. Not the smoothest running thing, but you can squeeze a ton of miles out of one. I had an 87, a good truck but they had a carb that year and it was always giving me trouble.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
M is for Memory

A bicycle!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Yep, the 3.9 is a sliced down 318. Not the smoothest running thing, but you can squeeze a ton of miles out of one. I had an 87, a good truck but they had a carb that year and it was always giving me trouble.
It probably was a Holley. Mopar switched to using them around 1980.
I'll take a Carter anyday. My 1991 318 had a Carter throttle body. Never a problem.
I never want to go back to carburetors.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi guys;

My Dakota has a 3.9L with throttle body injection. The old style push rod engine. Strange stuff, when I got her, she got similar mileage 17 - 21 hwy. But then the O2 sensor went. I tested it and could not find a fault, But I had bought a full exhaust system for the 91 accord from the junk yard. Both used what looked like the same 4 wire O2 sensor, both same point down stream in the system, far from the manifold, so I took the one off the Dodge, it made noise when I shook it, so I swapped the plugs, put the honda one in the dodge, and then the mpg took off..... It runs different now, On highway at certain speeds it has a bit of up and down with engine speed, not surging, just hardly noticeable. I think the O2 I put in may have a greater range to it and takes the mixture lower. Anyway I'm grateful at the increased mpg.

Last edited by Username1; 05-28-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Dieseljeep; sorry I had to go back and figure out what you were talking about. Well the blue car was a $500. ebay job on Long Island. We must have picked all the wrong roads to get there because the trip took all day, the car needed an axle, and brakes, radio fix, and she was fine for a kid out of HS. We figured she could use a good first car to get a job, save some cash and pick her next car herself. But her and her circle of friends were kinda layabouts, they burned holes in that perfect interior, walked all over the car, kicked the interior broke stuff. On top of that we paid insurance, $70/week gas and she didn't find a job for months. So we said "in 3 weeks insurance payment is due, you have it or you park it" The wife said there is no way she's gunna give up the car..... I said I bet yes....

Last edited by Username1; 05-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old school designs only, RWD, USA, frame, V8, 5-6 pass. & 2+ tons.

2003 Merc Grand Marquis
2004 Crown Vic Sport
Everyone thinks milage is bad but. The CV gets 28 on hwy at 75-85
with the windows opened. I bet if I took off the useless converers
& closed the windows it would go well over 30mpg. The Merc
not so good probably the single exhaust.

On wish list there are a few exceptions to the rules.
Another 1972 Olds Toronado, awesome FWD smoke shows.
Another 1993 Buick Roadmaster LT-1 "shock & awe". Would
have got another but GM abandoned me.

For pissah rides
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1963 Studebaker GT Hawk
Either must have factory Paxton blower.
You young whipper snappers will have to look these up.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma