Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I still have my Sony SL-5600 that we got for Christmas in 1980. My parents took us to Service Merchandise in November and i carried it out. Weighed over forty pounds in the box. Man that was fun.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I still have my Sony SL-5600 that we got for Christmas in 1980. My parents took us to Service Merchandise in November and i carried it out. Weighed over forty pounds in the box. Man that was fun.
Had it too, girlfriend threw it away when I wasnt home.. ex-girlfriend..
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Worked on a s*tload of those Sony SL2000s that would come in with broken off pins on the loading ring assy. Replaced dozens of those rings before they came up with a repair kit to just fix the broken off pins. Likewise the SL2500 with the same problem, plus on those the original plastic front loading gears that would break. Fix was a kit with metal gears. Some the cylinder would get worn slick and the stiction of the tape would drag in rewind, had to replace the head drum ass'y. Big bucks. And tons of SL5400s and 5600s and the Zenith equivalents that had seized capstan motors, and needed rewind kits. Ah those were the days of 25-35 VCR repairs a week, sometimes running 2 to 3 weeks turnaround because there were so many of 'em!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I need more vintage!!

The oldest VCR I ever owned was a 1984 JVC HR-7100U top loader. I had it for about 3 months back in 2005. During the time I had it, I only got it to work once. The belts were getting really bad and for some reason, playback wouldn't engage, except for the one freak time I did get it to play.

Last edited by Trance88; 05-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
The oldest VCR I ever owned was a 1984 JVC HR-7100U top loader. I had it for about 3 months back in 2005. During the time I had it, I only got it to work once. The belts were getting really bad and for some reason, playback wouldn't engage, except for the one freak time I did get it to play.

Perhaps it was because the belts were going bad that the VCR wouldn't go into playback mode, and the problem became progressively worse as time went on and one or more belts finally wore through, stretched, or snapped. Newer VCRs (such as my own Panasonic PV-4022, bought new in 2002 and still going strong, though I don't use it much since getting a DVD player) have mostly gear drives and few belts, except for one thick belt that links the motor to the drive mechanism.

The gear-drive VCRs are good performers, but can be very noisy. My Panny VCR makes a loud screeching noise when in rewind mode (has done this since it was new), but otherwise it works amazingly well for being 10 years old. The only use it gets anymore is occasional viewing of my old VHS videos and (rarely) time-shifting programs. I'd use it more often for the latter, but its tuner doesn't receive digital subchannels (most of my favorite old shows, '70s crime dramas mostly such as Kojak, Cannon, Rockford Files, et al., are on MeTV and Antenna TV) and I don't want a cable box on the VCR. I have Time Warner Cable expanded basic service, connected more or less directly to the TV; I say "more or less" because the cable line from the wall connects to my RF modulator for the DVD (now Blu-ray), then to the VCR, and then to the TV's antenna socket. No cable box. It's a complicated hookup, to be sure, but hey, it works. No cable box also means I hardly ever need to call the cable company for service, either. Makes for a nice, trouble-free setup.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-25-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post

Replace the loading belt, capstan belt, clutch belt, drive belt, and counter belt. Kit can be purchased at: http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/mbk-06.htm

Changing the loading belt is rather difficult, and it requires removing a metal ring retainer. Be careful not to lose it, or you're screwed.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

My first VCR machine was a early Sony 3/4" U-Matic that a Oak Ridge, TN firm sold off when they got themselves a Betamax. Paid $50 for it and a engineer friend at WBIR gave me some used U-Matic blanks. This was back in 1976.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
and a engineer friend at WBIR gave me some used U-Matic blanks. This was back in 1976.
Need any more tapes? I might have a few. Useless to me.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Amazing that there are so many unopened VCRs and other items out there. That seller must have found a store full of things.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't remember all the model numbers.

VCRs
BETAMAX - a "Sears" beta portable by Toshiba IIRC. Had to rig an RCA camera with a special plug to fit it.
VHS - the second model with an RCA name on it. Really a Panasonic. I worked in a TV shop and built that one from a few junkers.

VTRs - IVC color models 800 and 870 which was the insert editor. Still have those American made units and an alignment tape. I believe they are from the 1970's. The chroma was not down-converted but rather the whole bandwidth was put on tape and the outgoing burst phase was fidgeted to keep the tint correct. In the manual one can see the color machine just has one extra board for that job. The tape wrapped 360 degrees on those and the switching was done inside the vertical blanking

No Kowtow
Audiokarma
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony VO-1600 produced in 1971

My first VCR was a VO-1600.

Last edited by stefan1600; 10-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first VCR was/is a 1971 Sony VO-1600 Umatic
Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1600 View Post
My first VCR was/is a 1971 Sony VO-1600 Umatic
My current oldest VCR is a VO-1600. They are real impressive solid machines!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
My current oldest VCR is a VO-1600. They are real impressive solid machines!
Hey Tom!
Glad to see you back again! You're engineering studies are more important.
BTW, the Utah speakers, I bought from your father are sounding great!
They can really handle the power and are not like the newer speakers, that are scrap, because of the rotting surrounds.
See you November 9th.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I lost count what is the oldest VCR I have here.More likely I know I have ones from the 1970's of the VHS and Beta format.

Along with other formats like reel to reel and cartridge , Umatic,Sanyo Vcord .reel machines from 1 inch to 1/4 inch here too.Some working and some are not.

Also I can add the 2 Fisher Price PXL2000 cassette kids camcorders.
Audiokarma