Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:08 AM
M is for Memory

If you only like 1 Nintendo game you have not spent enough time with the NES and N64!

Every system has fadware that is only worth owning for anyone at the time it is new....I remember a time where classic Genesis games were still worth a decent chunk of allowance second hand and you'd have a hard time giving anyone a stack of Madden cartridges even to use for skeet shooting...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-14-2022, 07:10 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M
If you only like 1 Nintendo game you have not spent enough time with the NES and N64!
Its just the games are not as fun to me,the graphics dont look as nice.....

Atari 2600 for example has the BEST GRAPHICS and games of all 3 systems! (2600,5200,7800)
Old 08-19-2022, 06:30 PM
creepingnet

I always find it a bit hilarious that people bag on "bad games", and it almost seems that a lot of these were not necessarily "bad" but either "misunderstood" or subject to the developer's limitations and time.

It truly is a matter of opinion. I can't stand any of the Mega Man games, or Duck Tails, or Little Nemo - the last one I owned in a boxed copy for a long time. But then people get onto me about my preference for the original NES Dragon Warrior localizations of Dragon Quest - the 4th installment of which I used Little Nemo to trade in to get at our local game shop. Little Nemo had awesome music, as did Duck Tails and Mega Man, but it almost seems, to me, that's the only redeeming quality of Capcom releases.

However, I love Bigfoot for the NES and people think that's a crap game because just like E.T. for the Atari 2600 you have to read the manual to understand the side scroll races need you to press back and fourth on the D-pad ala button masher. If you get a Joystick, or have big hands and can right-hand-hammer-on guitar style like me, it's actually quite fun once you get used to it.

Honestly, I think if any platform had a lot of "stinkers" it's probably MS-DOS. So many shovelware, shareware, and horrid ASCII arcade conversions with all the control of a drunk who blows 29.5 on a breathalyzer test yet is somehow still alive. Yet I love that platform. Tons of commercial releases with lousy scrolling due to the difficulties in programming EGA, or poor control schemes because "mouse is new, let's use mouse, even though it makes zero sense in this scenario". I'm surprised AVGN has not yet got his hands on an old 8088-80486 era system to rip into things like Pango or "Floppy Frenzy".
Old 08-22-2022, 12:07 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Atari 2600 for example has the BEST GRAPHICS and games of all 3 systems! (2600,5200,7800)
I find this comment to be laughable, with all due respect. Anyone who has ever compared Pac-Man's appearance on the 5200 (which is about 90% as good as the arcade version) to the 2600 version (which is an utter piece of garbage), or Defender on the 5200 (again, at least 90% as good as the arcade version) versus Defender on the 2600 (they actually did make a quite good effort with this one, but it is still a big flickering mess since that game is just way beyond the 2600 hardware capabilities), could not -possibly- think the 2600 graphics were even comparable, let alone "better".

What the Atari 2600 -did- have, though, was massive improvement in quality in its games over the years it was in development. The awful Pac-Man was followed by a quite good and playable Ms. Pac-Man, and the original Home Run baseball game was lousy but the later RealSports Baseball cartridge was very good (within the limitations of the 2600). Many later 2600 cartridges (such as Centipede) were very enjoyable to play even if their graphics were limited.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-22-2022, 12:17 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I doubt I ever played as many as 20 different ones on my Nintendo machine, but I do still have the 10-15 that I did buy. I even have the cartridge-slot replacement piece that I bought from MCM years ago, one day I will install it. Plus a Game Genie, but I was disappointed that it did not have a setting to allow me to shoot the dog in "Duck Hunt".

That list of bad games has lots of movie and TV-based ones on it, not surprising since most of those games were always lousy on any system. (Yes, I bought the "E.T." cartridge the day it came out, for something like $30 in 1982 dollars.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 08-22-2022, 01:07 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I doubt I ever played as many as 20 different ones on my Nintendo machine, but I do still have the 10-15 that I did buy. I even have the cartridge-slot replacement piece that I bought from MCM years ago, one day I will install it. Plus a Game Genie, but I was disappointed that it did not have a setting to allow me to shoot the dog in "Duck Hunt".

That list of bad games has lots of movie and TV-based ones on it, not surprising since most of those games were always lousy on any system. (Yes, I bought the "E.T." cartridge the day it came out, for something like $30 in 1982 dollars.)
There should be bonus points for the dog.

That ET game is almost a decade older than me but I did end up with a copy a few years ago...I keep it for the oddity/as an example of how to not make a game.
The 2600 was an interesting system in that it had so many bad games it literally crashed the video game market, yet had plenty of good fun titles mixed into the garbage, and somehow it survived long enough that I was alive the last year of it's run.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4