Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM
M is for Memory

Scanning for channels varies from model to model...You need to RTFM!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since he appears to be not using an OTA antenna, just Roku and perhaps some cable connection for viewing, I should think that no scanning of his tv would be necessary.

jr
Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
What is "RTFM"? Please write your responses in words I understand, and do not use these cryptic abbreviations; in fact, if that particular abbreviation stands for one or more indecent words, don't bother explaining it to me. Please answer my question without getting upset or insulting.

My TV is important to me because I cannot read well (my eyeglasses, as strong as they are, do not work well for me anymore). How will I get the new DTV channel for Cleveland's channel 43 without going to a lot of trouble? I am not even sure my Roku will get the new station once it is moved to the new digital channel.

I have had it with DTV. I wish, oh how I wish I could go back to the old type of TV with a nice big knob on the front that changes channels, as was almost universal in the '50s until the DTV era started, instead of this DTV stuff that needs to be rescanned every time something changes with the television stations. Is there any place in the United States that still has the old analog channels that can be tuned in simply by turning a knob that clicks? That system served this country well for over five decades, until this DTV garbage arrived and ruined everything.

For jr_tech: Yes, I still have my Roku and a cable connection (no standard television antenna), so I should not have to rescan my TV even if the channels change. However, there is still the question of if or when the new channel will be added to the channel guide on the Roku. On second thought, why should I worry about it? I almost never watch channel 43 anyway, since the station carries most Cleveland sports and I do not care for sports--never have in all my 60 years and never will.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-17-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm another one living in the past! I had to use a Google search on the acronym. It all make sense now.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Right some TV have one or more toooo slow channel scan routines like my Mediatek CPU 2013 40" 1080p Sony Bravia and 2015 55" 4K HDR Sony XBR Triluminos and the 2013 42"1080p LG LED/LCD are all slow and cumbersome scanning local RF channels into the channel memory blocks or doing anything at all .

OTOH the 2 mo. new out of box 2016 Samsung 4K QDOT 10 bit color HDR 1000 55" TV on the man cave/ wall in here scans in 34 locals at the push of an intuitive on screen Samsung Smart Hub access remote button & simple orbit > center button routine in seconds . it has a fast Samsung 4 Core CPU/SoC in it and turns on cold maybe 2 sec to in use > off /standby 1-2 sec. and reboots in maybe 5-7 sec. to last in use or default at an R/F and voice capable smart remote power button soft reset .

OTOH some years ago you couldn't give me a Samsung TV ,I had new Sonys (lots of them) mostly since 1994 but given I just had to put a new LED bar in the LCD panel and fix two boards in the 2015 4K HDR Sony 55X850C and new LED lamps in the 2013 1080p Sony Bravia inside of two years you can keep the new Sony Bravia subsidiary TV's

My 3.5 X brighter 2016 55 KS 8000 Samsung 4K HDR 1000 TV runs way cooler than the 55" Sony X850C anyway so thats better quality LED and thermal designs and also @ less wattage, 1.5 " thinner and lighter ,and both edge lit too by comparison my 2015 Sony is a Ford and the 2016 Samsung is a swift state of the art Bentley turbo !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Audiokarma