Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bertan CRT test set CRT-30

Hi All,

Picked up this beast for free. It appears to work, the displays come up and respond to the pots and the HV is working. I had some fun pulling some pretty mean arcs with it. Sadly, the filamant voltage doesn't go down quite low enough to test the 2v filament tube I want to test.

So, can I whip up a 2V filament supply, tie the grounds together and use it to test a 21EAP4? And since unlike most testers it is a manual set up, where/how can I figure out the settings? I looked and can't seem to find a manual for this beast but I think all I really need to know is the correct voltages to set it at.

Thanks!

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCM_0630_rsz.jpg (62.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Technohippie

That isn't a service type tester, but a power supply used in CRT production testing. It would be used in conjunction with a deflection system to actually light up the screen and operate the entire tube under real world conditions.

With only one exception that I know of, the service shop type testers only run the gun portion of the tube, with no high voltage on the anode, and consequently no light on the screen.

You COULD use that Bertan unit to test a CRT, but you would need to have the yoke installed and operating, and get the typical operating voltages from the tube datasheet. And then you wont get a good/bad result, just visual observations of brightness/focus, and voltage readings to compare against published curves from the datasheet. Not a practical device for the repair shop, except maybe as a substitute HV supply for testing?

Look around for a real service type CRT tester. They go cheaply now that nobody wants CRT sets repaired anymore...
Old 07-15-2016, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Darn. I had a feeling that it was originally for a factory setting but hoped I could use it. Still is a pretty robust HV power supply, might have to build a lifter or two and play with it.

At least it should be good to check the accuracy of my older HV probe. I'll have to dig that out.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anything Bertan is good stuff. I used tons of it. The (other) gold standard is Spellman.

It'll be a gold mine. You get CRT HV, focus, and G2 for sets with dead horizontal,
or even just dead CRT HV.

What does the HV go up to?