Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I was puffing away on a menthol Benson & Hedges in my taxi one day, and my fare said "those make you BLEED inside" (her emphasis). That was 1976. I didn't smoke cigarettes again til my divorce began in 2005. Then it was months of Swisher Sweets!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I go kinda OVERBOARD on smoking 'cause my Mom died SO Hard... Emphysema is a nice, quiet, EASY way to die...It just kills you a Little Bit every day, nothin' so you'd notice..No problem, right ?!? Until you realise that you CAN'T walk the 50 feet from yr bed to the bathroom w/o WHEEZING...Mama died over 15 years, just a little every day...Had to have oxygen w/her 24/7..I used to make my living growing tobacco & printing cigarette labels...But now, FUCK 'Em...They need to be shut down..Period. No ifs,ands, or butts..Mama got off EASY...She never had Lung Cancer..I understand that's a fate WORSE than death...She never had pain, but Lung Cancer, I understand, is VERY painful..
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I go kinda OVERBOARD on smoking 'cause my Mom died SO Hard... Emphysema is a nice, quiet, EASY way to die...It just kills you a Little Bit every day, nothin' so you'd notice..No problem, right ?!? Until you realise that you CAN'T walk the 50 feet from yr bed to the bathroom w/o WHEEZING...Mama died over 15 years, just a little every day...Had to have oxygen w/her 24/7..I used to make my living growing tobacco & printing cigarette labels...But now, FUCK 'Em...They need to be shut down..Period. No ifs,ands, or butts..Mama got off EASY...She never had Lung Cancer..I understand that's a fate WORSE than death...She never had pain, but Lung Cancer, I understand, is VERY painful..
Totally understandable, I still cant understand why anyone would continue to smoke when the outcome is so clear, not to mention the cost and loss of performance with your body.

im going to name a few things I believe are bad and cumulative and avoid besides cigarettes.

soft drinks, artificial sweetener, fluoride, non ionizing radiation (wireless phones), aluminum cookware, vaccines, solder smoke, aluminum based deodorant, Teflon lined cookware, brake dust, used crankcase oil, asbestos, GMO food, fast food, smoking anything etc

I could go on all day. The fact is we are exposed and bombarded with toxins all day everyday, much more so than your grandma was in her day.

Lets just call it low level eugenics
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Does not sound like "low level" to me....

But I agree, everything anymore is bad for you. It seems like in the process of making things better and life simpler that "man" is causing more problems then he fixes.

Nothing in life is natural or unadulterated and that is the problem... Why can't we leave Well Enough Alone...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

the way to quit smoking if you want to is take the pack in your pocket, throw it away, along with the cartons stashed around the house. Then NEVER light up again. Cold turkey, and never slip up to have just one while on the road or in the bar or what ever. everyone started with just that 1st one. I quit when I was a teen after smoking for a few years. When I see young kid smoke today they just look foolish as I am sure I did. But I was lucky I had a girl friend that hated them and she wanted me to stop. So one day while out walking I took the pack out of my pocket an threw it away. That was over 30 yrs ago, but I still consider myself a smoker and will never lite up again, not even just one, and I do not hate them so I know I could get started again if I slipped up.

I will post some pics soon to try and get off smokes and back to a less deadly addiction, tv's
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

just some chassis top side shots, and the test fitting of the replacement fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112_4222.jpg (104.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 112_4224.jpg (92.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 112_4225.jpg (107.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

the 3A3 cup was broken on one of the mounts to the socket, I used some epoxy to glue it back, seems like it will hold. should get the 47meg and 130pf for the fly today. Got all the wires ready to hook up to the fly so if all goes well I hope to try it out no later than this weekend.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was a real bad chain smoker for many years until one day I felt SOOO bad I said to myself "it just aiin't worth it any more", and cold turkey'ed. It was the day after thanksgiving 1989, and I haven't touched a damn cigarette since. I do miss sharing cigars with folks, including my daughter lol, but cannot touch the nicotine for fear of winding up on the cancer sticks again. And yes, I do have COPD, and it sucks. My own fault.
If you who still smoke can muster the strength and will power, QUIT!! It won't be easy for some, but it beats suffocating to death slowly and painfully from the inability to breath.

Last edited by stromberg6; 11-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Im sure if you give you body the proper nutrients, minerals and proteins it can reverse alot of that. The body has a really great repair ability built in if its given the right stuff.
Its all about research and the right attitude.

Its like this unobtainable parts crap I hear. if you are willing to do the research and try new things subs can be found for almost any part.
(ok theres my tv tie-in)

I wonder how hard it would be to install the degaussing coil and thermistor from a modern crt set in one of these. I have plenty of that stuff lying around, guess I could give it a try.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea good idea, on the degausser, may add one I have a few of those laying around as well. Would be fun to add the PB style with a push button switch on the back for manual operation.

Damn, I got the wrong resistor its a 3.9 ohm 1/4 watt would much rather it be a 1 watt. I could just use a 2v2 instead of a 1v2 I suppose. will look around and see if I can find the right thing.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I was a real bad chain smoker for many years until one day I felt SOOO bad I said to myself "it just aiin't worth it any more", and cold turkey'ed. It was the day after thanksgiving 1989, and I haven't touched a damn cigarette since. I do miss sharing cigars with folks, including my daughter lol, but cannot touch the nicotine for fear of winding up on the cancer sticks again. And yes, I do have COPD, and it sucks. My own fault.
If you who still smoke can muster the strength and will power, QUIT!! It won't be easy for some, but it beats suffocating to death slowly and painfully from the inability to breath.
Yep...Even tho she got hypnotised, my Mom NEVER took another drag, for fear of landing back in Stupidville again. She was on the last leg of her long day's journey into night, she didn't/couldn't even come to my wedding.. We got married 15 Dec 207, Mama died Aug 208. I REALLY wish she & my wife had gotten to know each other better-They woulda been BIG buds. Mama, I think, was happy she was leavin' me in good hands..Shit, I'm Tearin' up now..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never took up smoking. As I understand it, it's in high school that most people become smokers, mainly to look cool. But I knew that I was way too much a nerd for cigarettes to make me look cool, so I didn't try. Besides, I had heard that it was bad for you anyway.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I NEVER worried about "Cool",the hiskule I went to, about aLL the cigarette smokers were l Delinquents/ bad seed.. We tended to STAY AWAY from 'em..
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Workin' Late Again

Never smoked(directly) here either. But my brother and I did a band gig back through the 90's. Needless to say the second hand stuff we took in was pretty yucky. Of course we drank a few beers to balance the effect. I do know that second hand smoke and loud noise alone can give one hell of a hangover. But hey, it's all part of the natural aging cycle.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I never took up smoking. As I understand it, it's in high school that most people become smokers, mainly to look cool. But I knew that I was way too much a nerd for cigarettes to make me look cool, so I didn't try. Besides, I had heard that it was bad for you anyway.
I tried it and couldn't get anything out of it. I don't know if I was doing it right or not.
I still like my beer, but I have to cut down on that.
Audiokarma