Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Atari Space Duel Arcade

Had one given to me today, my boss decided he couldn't take it with him to Alaska.

It had a problem with the high voltage supply in the monitor, which I quickly figured out was caused by a burned up resistor (which appears to form a snubber, since it's in series with a cap across the primary of a transformer). Replaced the resistor, fixed one other bad solder joint, and it's up and running.

I can't find a pic on the net to show what it looks like, but it's a 'sit down' model, not a stand up one. I'll upload some pics of it running when I get a chance.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd go through the game sooner than later and do what's recommended in the FAQs to make the thing reliable and more importantly, less likely to self destruct.

Space Duel's normally use a Wells Gardner WG6100. This beast will kill its own power supply if the deflection amps or HV cage goes south, making for even more repairs.

There's also merit to doing recommended upgrades to the AR-II, also known as the power supply regulator and audio amplifier board, as these will lead to serious destruction of the logic and even the monitor if it goes south. It's simple work that includes re-capping amongst other things, which can best be described as an ounce of prevention=ton of cure.