Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Stuck in the past!

2006 Samsung SP-S4243 plasma tv smoke

So I picked this tv up at the curb and brought home. It had been rained on at least once but was 48 hours before I picked up. Decided on plugging it in which I usually don't do for a few days in case their damp but this time, I got impatient and wanted to see what it would do. I plugged in and it played a tune and the blue led around the power button came on. 3-4 seconds after, I noticed smoke coming from the top right in back. I immediately unplugged figuring something might be damp and waited till next day. Figuring I may have blown something and caused it not to do anything at all, I tried again and it still played the sound and blue led but within 2 seconds, I seen smoke again and unplugged. Any idea what is going on. Wondering if I did this or maybe it was already doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200521_211831133_1_24.jpg (44.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200521_211849823_1_24.jpg (43.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200521_211844333_1_24~2.jpg (123.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I usually let my roadside finds dry out for 3 or 4 days before energizing them.
You should probably always open them before energizing them. You might see critters in there.
It could be the smoke released has nothing to do with it being wet and may be the reason the set was discarded in the first place.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
So I picked this tv up at the curb and brought home. It had been rained on at least once but was 48 hours before I picked up. Decided on plugging it in which I usually don't do for a few days in case their damp but this time, I got impatient and wanted to see what it would do. I plugged in and it played a tune and the blue led around the power button came on. 3-4 seconds after, I noticed smoke coming from the top right in back. I immediately unplugged figuring something might be damp and waited till next day. Figuring I may have blown something and caused it not to do anything at all, I tried again and it still played the sound and blue led but within 2 seconds, I seen smoke again and unplugged. Any idea what is going on. Wondering if I did this or maybe it was already doing.
Those years of 42" plasmas were known for having the buffer boards fail. When you get it apart, you will see two small board on the left side (from behind) between the Y Sustain board and the ribbons from the plasma panel.

Each board will have at least 4 and maybe 8 black ICs on them. Under a loop, look for a pinhole in one or more of them. If you see a pinhole, the buffer board(s) are bad and they usually take out the sustain at the same time. I used to rebuild these when the TVs were expensive to replace but don't bother any more.

The problem with these Samsungs is that a blown scan IC on the buffer board will damage the sustain. If you put in two good buffers and don't repair or replace the sustain, the new buffers will fail immediately. If you were to just repair or replace the sustain without replacing the buffers, the bad buffers will damage the sustain again. It's a big circle jerk.

There are no new buffer boards made for these and using used parts mean you have the balance of time left which could be mere hours at best since these board fail with age and use.

If you don't see any pinholes, I can tell you how to check the buffers to about 98% confidence.

John
Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Stuck in the past!

I'll get in it and take a look. If there are pinholes, then I'm guessing there's no point in repair.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hope you haven't taken it inside your home yet. Critters can get in even when it's sitting on the roadside.I always open them up and blow them out of dust and cigarette smoke first thing.
Do you have an air compressor with a nozzle?
Attached is a photo of my setup on the patio. Its basically 2 saw horses. You can get underneath it and see what's on the screen. Might not be useful for a plasma though.
If you have trouble locating where it smoked from you can use a plastic soda straw to locate the source. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Setup.jpg (93.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Stuck in the past!

I have all that but didn't need to as there was nothing in it.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Stuck in the past!

This went in the trash. I have enough projects.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry to hear that. Mine came out alright. This NEC is really just a monitor. Has a DVI input.
It will do the 90 degree rotation thing like for menu boards. It weighs 96 lbs. Think I'll sell it on Craigslist to someone who has a little restaurant and needs a menu board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEC_42Plasma.jpg (73.8 KB, 10 views)