Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony Floor Speakers Model SS-U6033 Issues

Hello Everyone, The other day when I got that Technics Stereo Receiver that had the shorted out STK Chip which I just finished repairing, I also got a set of Sony Floor Speakers Model Number SS-U6033 that are rated at 8 Ohms and 200 Watts Maximum Input and according to a Google search dated from 1998 which is 20 years ago exactly this year.
I didn't bother to look at the condition of the Woofers on them because I assumbed that since they were newer speakers that the woofer surrounds would of been in good shape.
But of course I was wrong because when I finally checked under the speaker grille assembly I saw that the foam surround on the 12" woofer on these speakers had failed which to me doesn't make any sense because I thought that was something that happened more on speakers made back in the 1960s and 1970s, but not something made in the late 1990s.

I mean yeah I'd expect that on a 40+ year old speaker but not on a speaker that's 20 years old, depending on when those woofer surrounds started deteriorating it may have been even when the speakers were only 10 years old when it started deteriorating which if that's the case then something happened to the foam on the surround on these speakers to make them fail prematurely.
Which is weird because the speakers were made here in America, by Sony's U.S. Plant, which I would of expected fairly high quality workmanship out of there.

Sorry for my long rant, but my main question is, Are these good speakers and worth my time refoaming or should I just junk them?
I got them for free more or less and I don't have anything into them currently so i'm mainly concerned about whether or not these speakers are worth my time trying to refoam or not or if I should just junk them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 11-02-2018 at 04:49 PM.