Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Found a 1985 Quasar Cube

I've been wanting one of these (or one of each color) for a while, I found this wretched example this weekend for $7.

It's supposed to be Pink but it's faded a bit to more of a Brown color, lots of scratches and stains, plus assorted paper stickers stuck all over it, the door on top has a broken hinge and a chipped corner (the chip happened when I took it out of the car and the door fell to the floor)
The stickers must have been on it a long time because the original Pink color is still visible underneath them.

It does still have the nifty matching plastic ball on the end of the antenna, though the tip of the antenna was bent over at a 90 degree angle when I found it, the matching remote was nowhere to be found.

I may be able to sand and buff it into something displayable but it'll never be perfect, there are labels silk screened on the cabinet so I can't buff the entire thing. I have no idea what the nasty brown stuff on top is but it doesn't come off with Windex or Lighter fluid, it'll probably have to be sanded off.

I figured if nothing else it has a good working chassis and a solid CRT so it could be parts if a non functional set with a nice cabinet turns up.

The picture on this thing is superb, very accurate and detailed color considering it only has an r.f. input, it's being fed "over the air" with the B-T Agile Modulator and a DVD here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quasar1.jpg (14.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Quasar2.jpg (13.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Quasar4.jpg (14.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Quasar3.jpg (52.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

As I've said before, WHY people trash EXPENSIVE items like color TVs so often is a mystery to me...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got one of these in white. They do produce a beautiful picture. I just picked up the matching cube remote on Ebay last week for mine.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Anyone know all the colors they came in?

I know Pink, Blue, White, Red (pretty sure), maybe Yellow?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Eric-

Look up a product (actually, a do-it-yourself formula) called Retrobright. It is a project to restore yellowed computer and other cases from the 1980s, but it may also work on that pink cabinet.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma