Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very cool TVs. I'm also big fan of the original Outer Limits. My favorite episode was "The Zanti Misfits".
Old 11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Outer Limits was/is my favorite sci-fi show by a wide margin. You guys are correct, this was the pilot episode.

Cliff Robertson "modified" his radio transmitter at his radio station, KXKVI, to send signals to outer space. It kind of worked like a prehistoric Skype except that his equipment could decode the aliens voice and his to the alien also. He had to go to a business dinner while he was in communication with the alien. His fill in disc jockey, I believe it was Gene Buddy Maxwell (love the name), saw the transmitter was turned down (he didn't realize that most of the power was being used to keep the alien in communication) and cranked it back up. This ended up sucking the alien through space and into Cliff's lab. The alien then had a interesting walk through town, to make a long story, short.

There was always a message at the end of each episode. Usually on how mankind could/should be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galaxy Being 004.jpg (21.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by ggregg; 11-02-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: photo
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
LOVE that one.....It's the very one the whole "...we control the vertical!' dialogue sort of COMES from..and that sound and sine-wave :-)

It's a very "television set centric" episode...where the TV plays a very central role.

It's also SCARY AS HELL when you see it and you are like SIX :-P
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
It's also SCARY AS HELL when you see it and you are like SIX :-P
The pilot debuted in September 1963. I researched it, then watched the pilot again, on Hulu.

I was seven at the time...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was an adult the first time I saw "The Galaxy Being" uncut, unedited, on 16mm film, and it scared the crap out of me.

I loved the idea of the on-air talent being able to control the power level from the studio like that. Good 1960's Television!
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

There was ONE "O/L" episode I can just BARELY remember- I was 6,7, maybe 8 at the time...But there were these pancake-like thingies that apparently jumped on yer back, made this incredibly AWFUL "Gushing" noise, & then turned you into Their Slave...I remember one of 'em jumpin' on the Heroine, her SCREAMING, & the Hero yankin' it off...Don't remember anything more than that...Anybody know which one I'm tryin' to describe ? My NOW fave episodes would hafta be "Zanti Misfits" & "A Feasability Study",'cause they have Suicide-Door Lincolns in 'em...(grin)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
There was ONE "O/L" episode I can just BARELY remember- I was 6,7, maybe 8 at the time...But there were these pancake-like thingies that apparently jumped on yer back, made this incredibly AWFUL "Gushing" noise, & then turned you into Their Slave...I remember one of 'em jumpin' on the Heroine, her SCREAMING, & the Hero yankin' it off...Don't remember anything more than that...Anybody know which one I'm tryin' to describe ? My NOW fave episodes would hafta be "Zanti Misfits" & "A Feasability Study",'cause they have Suicide-Door Lincolns in 'em...(grin)
I think that's "The Invisibles" featureing Richard Dawson

The Zanti Misfits were creating using stop motion animation by the great Ray Harryhausen.

Last edited by bandersen; 11-02-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've known a few radio engineers, TV, too, and sometimes I was truly impressed with little electronic gagetry that they could just 'throw together.'
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
That thing looks like the game COOTIE......gone BAD!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:49 AM
console lover

Total destruction to anyone who invades our privacy!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Reminded me of the Star Trek original series episode with the flying amoebas
"Operation Annihilate"
Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

"The Outer Limits" is fun to watch. I have the first season on my iPod, and plug it into the TV collection. Looks like they had sort of a stock company of actors, and used guest starts to play featured characters. Good show!
Also, would love to be a steward for a while of one of those RCA "table" TVs.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The "Outer Limits" was, at once, AWFULLY Good & AWFULLY Bad. Dark, murky storylines, dark, murky photography, hysterical music, "Horror Show" cliches, $1.98 props...You can make a good case for sheer awfulness or sheer GREATNESS using any aspect of it. Guess that's why, nearly 50 years on, all us 55-year-old, "7 year old boys at heart" STILL love it..
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very well put.

Remember though, they had to put together everything for a show in one week. Then completely start over, every week. Every show, every location was different, although I think I've seen the same 1958 Plymouth drive by on a number of different shows. I think, given the time restrictions, no computer generation stuff, etc, that they did an amazing job. All this was thought up and built from scratch, in a very short period of time. Some of the monsters look pretty hokey in today's world but at the time, it worked. And it's still great TV today.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
Very well put.

Remember though, they had to put together everything for a show in one week. Then completely start over, every week. Every show, every location was different, although I think I've seen the same 1958 Plymouth drive by on a number of different shows. I think, given the time restrictions, no computer generation stuff, etc, that they did an amazing job. All this was thought up and built from scratch, in a very short period of time. Some of the monsters look pretty hokey in today's world but at the time, it worked. And it's still great TV today.
Yep...That's part & parcel of what I meant...The show just has this gritty, realistic, "Shirtsleeves" sort of feeling to it...The first season, when Leslie Stevens & Joe Stefano were running things has adifferent feel than when Ben Brady took over, but to say the Brady shows weren't as good as the Stevens/Stefano shows would be an injustice.. I never really bothered to try to catch the 1980s-90s versions...They, and virtually ALL the "Updated" shows miss the point of series like this...They try to bee TOO "Revelant", too "PC", too "Touchy-Feely" and all that other modern day sensibility garbage. The purpose of these shows is to CLEVERLY scare the living PHUCK outta little boys...Not show what a caring, wise & wonderful female Captain of a crashed spaceship can do for all the creatures around her..