Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Best truck/van for TV pickup.

I've gotten pretty good getting up to 27" into the back of my Ranger. But I just can't deal with 30" and above.
I'm one-manning it. I was looking at a Dodge Caravan which sits lower to the ground. Or maybe a Mazda MPV. But maybe there is something better.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ford Transit Connect cargo? Don't know how pretty or car-like it needs to be, but that thing will hold a bunch, and with a ramp you could roll stuff into it on two-wheelers. You can almost stand up in them, even the smaller ones. Add shelves to hold a few treasures in one trip, too. Used, they seem to be priced on-par with other cars and trucks.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 PM
M is for Memory

Some of the GM stuff with factory air suspension one can let the air out of for loading.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 AM
The Resident Brony

Caravans are pretty good. MPV's are alright - in reality they're really just a Ford Focus. not that that's entirely a bad thing. Dunno how big of sets you're talking about, so I don't know what's big enough. You just want something lower, huh? You could get a small FWD suv, or tall hatchback type of car, like a Toyota matrix or similar. Small car, small engine, decent cargo room.

You could bolt a winch to the front of your Ranger's bed, and use a couple of 2x4s for a ramp, and winch your giant tvs up onto the bed. I mean. Not even joking, what's an $80 winch from harbor freight, a couple of bolts, and maybe $20 worth of wires, compared to buying a whole vehicle? Wrap a Kevlar strap, with something soft over it, around the tv, maybe make a plywood sled for it. Good to go.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the $1000 solution mounted in the back of a Caravan. Wheelchair lift that goes from ground level outside to floor level inside with the push of a button. No lifting at all -- except it can't reach all the way into the estate sale basement and yank out a 6' Zenith aircraft carrier for you...

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/...523446283.html

Not mine/no relation, etc.
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Caravans are pretty good. MPV's are alright - in reality they're really just a Ford Focus. not that that's entirely a bad thing. Dunno how big of sets you're talking about, so I don't know what's big enough. You just want something lower, huh? You could get a small FWD suv, or tall hatchback type of car, like a Toyota matrix or similar. Small car, small engine, decent cargo room.

You could bolt a winch to the front of your Ranger's bed, and use a couple of 2x4s for a ramp, and winch your giant tvs up onto the bed. I mean. Not even joking, what's an $80 winch from harbor freight, a couple of bolts, and maybe $20 worth of wires, compared to buying a whole vehicle? Wrap a Kevlar strap, with something soft over it, around the tv, maybe make a plywood sled for it. Good to go.
How about using an old Formica countertop as a slide?
I was using a engine lift as well!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

A Honda Element has 70 cubic ft of space if the rear sets are out or the vehicle. Plus a high ceiling. Rear opens up like the old 60's station wagons. But one trying to do it alone That would be hard. I turn 59 in June and can't believe the upper body strength I don't have anymore. I used to take combos out of basements with another person back in my early twenties. Those were the days. I could hear the 15734 Hz frequency, I could see well not needing the magnifying lens, and I had upper body strength back then too lol.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
I turn 59 in June and can't believe the upper body strength I don't have anymore. I used to take combos out of basements with another person back in my early twenties. Those were the days. I could hear the 15734 Hz frequency, I could see well not needing the magnifying lens, and I had upper body strength back then too lol.
Try looking at it this way: no one is going to expect you to take on hard labor on a regular basis anymore. I'm glad my 20s are well behind me, chronologically anyway, lol.

Anyhoo, back on topic, have you considered a hydraulic scissor lift table?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

+1 on Popester's Honda Element recommendation. A good box for boxes. Would have clicked "Like" if we had the button.

One thing to keep a craigslist eye out for is a thing called a Hoyer lift. Used to lift/transfer immobile patients out of beds or chairs, or pick up a fallen individual from the floor. It's configured like an engine lift, and it's hydraulic, and uses a canvas sling for people cargo. They are rated to lift 400 lbs. of human, and are very lightweight and break down into sections that are easily carried and fit in a car trunk. Along with some straps from Harbor Freight, they would do a good job of picking up any TV I've ever run across.

I have one I snagged for $50. I've used it to load/unload 35HP outboards from the back of my Suburban, and a darn heavy electric lawn tractor from a hitch platform. In addition to various bits and pieces around the garage and shop. Plus a person or two, when used for its original purpose.

So if you can wheel the cargo to the back of your truck, this can lift it, without having to carry around and set up something that weighs just as much as the TV you're moving.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got a new Caravan 2 yrs ago. We also used them for service
at the shop & used a G-20 for big multi deliveries. Caravan will
work great. You can also lay 4X8 plywood etc flat in it & close
it up. And they start under 20K....... They are all the same
drive line so the only important option is fold away seats. The rest is
just crap & cosmetics. Even the cheap radio / CD sounds good.
You will also be surprized with the power. Almost 300 horsies.

Moving big sets alone is an art. Above 27" it gets tricky. Try this.
Get a tall appliance dolly & extra straps. Strap set on, lean the
dolly on the truck gate. Get behind it & push it in. Even works
with refrigerators etc. One man job

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks All!

Great ideas. There's a Harbor Freight about 5 miles away.
Saw a GMC Safari for sale for $2K. Gonna check that out today.
Looked like it was already set up for cargo.
Would like to stay with a rear wheel drive vehicle. Those front wheel models are difficult to work on.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Used to own an Astro van, like Safari. Sit in the passenger seat and evaluate if the legroom will work for any passengers you may have.

Make sure the instrument cluster works reliably.

Evaluate the unloaded ride quality. Mine defined the term 'bouncy'.
Bought it brand new, traded it after only 12 months.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think all the mini vans are bouncy, the Caravan is. But thats coming
from being used to Crown Vics, Roadmasters, 88's etc. If I had a choice
it would be 6 pasanger, full frame, big block V8, miminum 2.5 tons.
Only options seats & windows, CD, int wipers, keep the rest. And
yes NO AC !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have owned about 7 Astro vans (same as Safari). They are easy/cheap to work on, and they can haul all the junk I can stuff in 'em, and pull a trailer too!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now that my Grand Marquis is up and running, I'm thinking of looking around for a TV hauler too. Right now I'm thinking I'd like an older American full size truck with a V8 old enough to still use a carburetor and distributor, but new enough that I can find a camper shell that fits on it, sort of 1960s - early 1980s.