Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Monkey Wards Model 62-465 Dial Stringing Diagram Needed

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a 6-Volt Storage Battery Radio from Montgomery Wards Model 62-465 that the dial string came unstrung (it didn't break it was just unstrung).

I'm trying to restring it and I've looked through the Riders Manual for this radio and it doesn't show a dial stringing diagram, and so I've been trying to restring it blindly without the help of a diagram and so far have not had any luck.

I can get it strung up so that it will rotate the tuning capacitor with the tuning knob but then it gets hung up halfway because the tuning string where it comes out of the main pulley off the spring it attaches to snags on the side of the tuning knob bracket.

Does anyone have access to a dial stringing diagram for this radio or have this model of radio that I could see a picture of how the dial string is strung up?

Thannks for your help.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a 6-Volt Storage Battery Radio from Montgomery Wards Model 62-465 that the dial string came unstrung (it didn't break it was just unstrung).

I'm trying to restring it and I've looked through the Riders Manual for this radio and it doesn't show a dial stringing diagram, and so I've been trying to restring it blindly without the help of a diagram and so far have not had any luck.

I can get it strung up so that it will rotate the tuning capacitor with the tuning knob but then it gets hung up halfway because the tuning string where it comes out of the main pulley off the spring it attaches to snags on the side of the tuning knob bracket.

Does anyone have access to a dial stringing diagram for this radio or have this model of radio that I could see a picture of how the dial string is strung up?

Thannks for your help.
You have to try to string the dial cord, either with the condenser fully clockwise or counterclockwise.
The set was built by Belmont! Check other Riders listings to see if there's another set that's similar.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You have to try to string the dial cord, either with the condenser fully clockwise or counterclockwise.
The set was built by Belmont! Check other Riders listings to see if there's another set that's similar.
OK, thanks, I'll try that.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Motorola Minion

I cant find that exact number in the HW Sams "dial cord stringing guide" DC-1 that shows a nice picture of several Airlines (Monkey Wards) with 62-4XX model number.

The same book shows a different set of arrangements for Belmont. Post a picture of the set to compare to one in the book.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I cant find that exact number in the HW Sams "dial cord stringing guide" DC-1 that shows a nice picture of several Airlines (Monkey Wards) with 62-4XX model number.

The same book shows a different set of arrangements for Belmont. Post a picture of the set to compare to one in the book.
OK, well this particular model is what I would call a "Tele-dial" radio with a tuning eye tube (the tuning dial looks like an old rotary dial telephone, except that there are no presets on here that work with the "Tele-Dial" feature like on the old Grunow units).

It only has two pulleys the tuning knob shaft pulley and the tuning capacitor drive shaft pulley, and thats it.
The tuning knob shaft is on a little bracket that screws to the tuning condenser assembly and the problem I'm having is trying to get the tuning dial string around that bracket without it rubbing against it.

See Pictures Below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montgomery Wards Radio Dial.jpg (55.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Montgomery Wards Radio Dial Tuning String.jpg (73.1 KB, 15 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2021, 03:31 PM
Motorola Minion

The schematic in Riders is no clue but good its there at all!

Closest match radio dial cord guide lists is an Airline 62-373 and 374, diagram 11 below.

Radioatticachives.com shows a 62-375 set that looks similar.
Cord 11.jpg
It looks as if an extra wrap on the dial side is needed so no string moves toward the bracket at either end of range. Dial string should be traveling past the bracket on both sides, but never unwinding off the tuner wheel to point it moves toward and contacts the bracket.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
The schematic in Riders is no clue but good its there at all!

Closest match radio dial cord guide lists is an Airline 62-373 and 374, diagram 11 below.

Radioatticachives.com shows a 62-375 set that looks similar.
Attachment 202523
It looks as if an extra wrap on the dial side is needed so no string moves toward the bracket at either end of range. Dial string should be traveling past the bracket on both sides, but never unwinding off the tuner wheel to point it moves toward and contacts the bracket.
That Diagram worked, its restrung properly now!

Quick question, should this radio be able to run off of a 6V Latern Battery?

I'm asking because I've tried to hook it up to a 6V latern battery and the radio won't power on at all.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Quick question, should this radio be able to run off of a 6V Latern Battery?
Absolutely, 100%, no, your 6V lantern battery will not provide the current (Amps) that your radio needs to run.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Absolutely, 100%, no, your 6V lantern battery will not provide the current (Amps) that your radio needs to run.
Ok, what should I use then to test this radio out? I currently dont have access to a 6V car battery and the 6V Sealed Lead Acid batteries are $300+ a pop which I dont have the money for, and I dont have a regulated DC Power Supply either.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Ok, what should I use then to test this radio out? I currently dont have access to a 6V car battery and the 6V Sealed Lead Acid batteries are $300+ a pop which I dont have the money for, and I dont have a regulated DC Power Supply either.
You can try a 6/12 volt car battery charger, good for at least 5 amps.
You have to use a 1000mfd or more across the output of the charger. Observe polarity! The set uses a synchronous vibrator.
Anyone that has been in this game for any length of time, has a high current battery eliminator.
I had my Knight-kit battery eliminator since I first started repairing radios over 60 years ago.
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2021, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You can try a 6/12 volt car battery charger, good for at least 5 amps.
You have to use a 1000mfd or more across the output of the charger. Observe polarity! The set uses a synchronous vibrator.
Anyone that has been in this game for any length of time, has a high current battery eliminator.
I had my Knight-kit battery eliminator since I first started repairing radios over 60 years ago.
I saw a knight kit A battery eliminator of the 6V variety for sale on Facebook Marketplace but they wanted over $100 for it even though it wasn't in working order.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I saw a knight kit A battery eliminator of the 6V variety for sale on Facebook Marketplace but they wanted over $100 for it even though it wasn't in working order.
The Knight-kit battery eliminator was $37.50 back in the early 60's. A lot of money back then. Before we had a sales tax.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-OF-2-...0AAOSwsc5e48Qg

Here's a pair of 6V 12AH batteries, buy these and put them in parallel and you've got 6V at 24AH available to your radio for under $30 shipped.

Keeping them charged is then a simple matter of any of the multitude of cheap chargers also sold on the 'Bay ........

Last edited by init4fun; 04-09-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Where are you located? Reason being, I have a near-new DuraCell Ultra gel cell, 6V 42AH battery. Only used once for servicing a friend's '41 Buick radio. Probably will never use it again. Sucker weighs about 12 pounds (the battery, not the radio. )

Last edited by old_coot88; 04-09-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm asking because I've tried to hook it up to a 6V latern battery and the radio won't power on at all.
Is the fuse ok? is the power switch ok? did anything happen, like faint glow in the tubes or weak buzz from the vibrator? Seems as if a good lantern battery should power the set for at least a few minutes.

jr
Audiokarma