Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Semi it is. I have to see him soon as I need to drop off the pictures of the other sets that show the color scheme.
John,
You should only need to tell your refinisher what gloss level you want. There is no need to use flat or semi-gloss finishes.

Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes need to be sanded and rubbed out when done, so you can get any gloss level you want during the polishing stage. This is how it was originally done. Semi-gloss finishes use flatteners to obscure the gloss resulting in a weaker and somewhat cloudy finish. A gloss finish can be polished to any level while a semi-gloss can never be polished to a full gloss level. Also if you don't polish a gloss lacquer finish it will look "plasticy" and terrible.

Some refinishers today will use modern CAB or catalyzed lacquers which if sprayed in a dust free environment don't really require polishing, so a semi-gloss might look better, but it will still look cloudy.

Attached is a picture of my 621 that I refinished with gloss nitrocellulose lacquer and rubbed out with 0000 steel wool.

Darryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 621.jpg (82.2 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by tubesrule; 01-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Audiokarma