Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
VK Member

Crosley 03cq chassi#95

Can i use new type speaker on this set? Old one had transformer on it.
Thanks Capbuster.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you still have the old speaker? You're going to need the output transformer. Also the old speaker had a field coil which serves as a choke for the power supply. Your options are to have the old speaker repaired (reconed) if it needs it and if you still have it, or to use a new speaker with the old transformer or an equivalent one, and provide a choke or appropriate resistor and larger electrolytic filter capacitors in the power supply. If there's room in the cabinet and you have the old speaker then the field coil can stay connected and the old speaker screwed down somewhere while the new one goes into position on the grile. Need more information!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
VK Member

OK thanks. All the componets are still there . Can hear static in whats left of the cone. So your saying i can use what i have just attach new type speaker to it. With out adding or changing anything .
Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are a number of things you could do and yes, you could have the old speaker screwed down in some unused space in the cabinet and a new one installed just connected to the voice coil terminals of the old one, but thats kind of a kludge. Is the only thing wrong with the old speaker that the cone is damaged? That could be repaired fairly easily depending on the damage. What would be important is that the voice coil which is attached to the cone and makes it move, is able to move freely without rubbing on the central magnetic pole piece. It would be better to get the original speaker to work rather than trying to sub in a new one.

You say you get "static:" has the radio been recapped? Does it receive stations? It sounds like the speaker is not the only problem. What is the diameter of the speaker? Replacement cones are available and not that hard to mount. Need to get the radio working first and then worry about the speaker. If you can give an idea of what experience you've had with restoring radio electronics before, we can walk you through it. This ought to be a good radio fixed up.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
VK Member

Ihave recapped a couple sets. One was a 11 tube philco model 111 hard one .
And a philco 49-1253 a phono & radio set . The crosley has a 10 inch speaker.
I need to recapp for sure . I also have a 37-93 catederal philco . Going to order stuff for the Crosley . Was wanting to get every thing i need when i order stuff.
When i get ready would really appreciate it Thank you . Capbuster or Kent.
The model 111 is a 1931 done everything to it all caps resisters tubes ect.
Ps. the 37-93 will also need help with. Waiting till i get all the parts before i start. Found out best this way on shipping ect. Sorry about rambling on.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aha, well, you're an old hand at this so you won't have any trouble! Here's one source of replacement cones. I have no connection with them, just found them by a search. They have a $10 minimum so you could get a few more things besides. If you look around you might find some other source that you like.

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/de.../cPath/362_369

Here's a tutorial on how to accomplish part of a repair. Some of this doesn't apply to a vintage speaker.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/refoam.htm

If the cone is mostly there and just needs to be repaired, that can be done with white glue and pieces of coffee filter paper. I like to use fabric glue, available at fabric or crafts stores. It is similar to "Elmer's" but stronger and remains somewhat flexible. Some of this mixed with a little water makes a good reinforcing paint for old cones that are crumbling.

If you have to replace the whole cone, cut the old one off around the voice coil leaving about 1" of the old cone all around. Shim the voice coil as in the tutorial paying attention that the spider remains flat and then cut and fit the new cone to overlap what's left of the old and glue into place. Next day glue the surround to the speaker frame without pulling it or twisting it and let dry fully before removing the shims. During the whole procedure care has to be taken so that no stress is put on the cone to bend it to one side or the other, so that when the shims come out the voice coil drags. The voice coil needs to be free to move in and out without rubbing.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
VK Member

Thanks REECE your much help. Let you know how things go when i get started.