Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:30 PM
AK Member

Sangean ATS803A

I just picked this up and although I realized they had a following I didn't know how many people like this radio.

I have always wanted to get into SW and this seems to be the way to go, especially for the price I paid

I did some research since I don't know the SW bands,but my reception is pretty lousy, (I'm not picking up much on other than the standard AM and FM bands, even at night.)

I have tried using about 25 feet of generic wire attached to the center post of an RCA at the external antenna, as well as attaching the wire to the radio's antenna and reception is still poor. I live upstairs in an apartment and have only used the antenna inside.

Any suggestions ?

The FM sounds really good, and it sure picks up AM stations well.

I see that there are some mods that I'm gonna look into, one thing I don't understand is why they sold this with such a cheesy feeling tuning knob the thing wobbles and feels like it's cheap as can be.

I don't have the AC adapter, and am looking into getting one.

All in all, this little radio is definately a keeper.

Dynavector 10-x4 - Well Tempered Classic V - Technics RS1500 /DBX 150 - Nakamichi Dragon, Nakamichi RX202 - Marantz 150 - McIntosh C26 -McIntosh MC2505 -Klipschorn -JBL 4310 - Threshold SL 10 - Modded Bottlehead Paramour 45 SET Monoblocks
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

I would be surprised if there wasn't a connection for an external antenna somewhere on the radio. There should be a screw connection labeled "Ant".

If not, then attaching a piece of wire to the telescoping antenna is the next best thing.

You're best bet at the moment is to tune between 5,500-6,200 KHz during the late evening hours. We're currently at the bottom of the 11-year sunspot cycle, so reception isn't at its best, but you should still hear many stations.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:13 AM
AK Member

check to see if your RF GAIN control is turned down, that should be up for shortwave unless the station is too strong and overloads the frontend.During the day try 9400-10000 khz , 11450-12100 khz , 13450-14000 khz, 15000-15600 khz, 17450-18000 khz,21450-22000, and 25500-26100 khz. Then at night try 9400-10000,5800-6200,4800-5100,3800-4000. Also check inside the battery compartment for a switch that read 9/10 khz steps and set it to 10 khz, if i remember right its inside the battery compartment , if not its probably on the back of the radio.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
AK Member

You can find alot of info and frequencies on shortwave broadcast and utilities at www.radioreference.com
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have the RatShak version of this guy, DX-440. Pretty good knock-off of the Sony ICF-2010..But yeah, the build quality is kinda cheesy...the tuning knob kinda has a mind of its own-sometimes, it goes up in frequency, sometimes down, no matter which way you turn it, & it does feel all loosy-goosy. About all I use mine for is listening to a Knoxville FM station in the Reading Room in the AM before I jump in the shower...For a portable radio, it has a particularly flimsy case, & only a kinda weird rinky-dink chrome wire handle to pick it up by...I must admit, however, mine has lasted 15 years-longer than I figured it would. But it never has been dropped, or got too hot or anything like that. I used to take it outside & play it while washing the car, it got wet a few times, but didn't seem to bother it. Mine does pretty good on SW & BCB stuff, but now, it ain't an R-390A...But lugging an R-390A outside to play while you're washing the car prolly ain't too swift of an ideer, either...<grin>
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Near and Far Horizons

One suggestion without knowing this radio: look for a "DX" switch somewhere--usually a slide switch (like on my little Sony SW receiver)--the settings are usually "DX" and "LOCAL". When listening to SW with the rod antenna only I can pick up plenty of stations--switch to DX, plenty of stations, switch to LOCAL very few. Try that.

Also, whether you like the programming or not try WWCR at 5.070 MHz from Nashville, TN. This is typically up here in New England a very strong signal. Also, of interest is 3.885 MHz a great frequency for listening to HAM Radio operators, especially at 5 am ES(D)T. During the night, anywhere from 6.0 to 7.5 MHz should give you a good selection of stations from around the world (literally).

I've had a SW Radio of some form since I was a wee-lad in the early-1960s--great fun.

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 AM
AK Member

Wow, thanks for the great answers guys!

I've played around with the radio a little more (I have the owners manual.) The switch in the battery compartment is @ 10khz, and I have the RF Gain all the way up when checking out SW. I've changed between the wide/ narrow switch etc. I have hooked up a piece of 15 ft wire (indoors) to the external antenna jack, but I am still having lousy luck. As an example, I scanned 5,500-6,200 KHz last night about 9:30 pm. I get lots of strong "signals" as per the signal strength LED's but they are only static (correct term?) and nothing more.
I'm beginning to think the location where I live is to blame and the sunspot thing.
I have been able to pick up a couple Canadian, Japanese, Chinese and religious programs but overall it hasn't been much.

I haven't had the chance to check out the radioreference site yet.

I also need to find out what the BFO pitch switch and dial is all about. I have tried it both on and off, but off seems to do better until I do my homework.

SW is exciting to me, and I can't wait till I get some real results.

Thanks again!

~R

Dynavector 10-x4 - Well Tempered Classic V - Technics RS1500 /DBX 150 - Nakamichi Dragon, Nakamichi RX202 - Marantz 150 - McIntosh C26 -McIntosh MC2505 -Klipschorn -JBL 4310 - Threshold SL 10 - Modded Bottlehead Paramour 45 SET Monoblocks
Old 10-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Peanut Head

The BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator) is helpful in hearing SSB (Single Side Band) transmissions. It can be tedious and frustrating when compared to a true SSB radio with a LSB/USB switch (lower and upper side band).

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:25 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadon
Wow, thanks for the great answers guys!

I've played around with the radio a little more (I have the owners manual.) The switch in the battery compartment is @ 10khz, and I have the RF Gain all the way up when checking out SW. I've changed between the wide/ narrow switch etc. I have hooked up a piece of 15 ft wire (indoors) to the external antenna jack, but I am still having lousy luck. As an example, I scanned 5,500-6,200 KHz last night about 9:30 pm. I get lots of strong "signals" as per the signal strength LED's but they are only static (correct term?) and nothing more.
I'm beginning to think the location where I live is to blame and the sunspot thing.
I have been able to pick up a couple Canadian, Japanese, Chinese and religious programs but overall it hasn't been much.

I haven't had the chance to check out the radioreference site yet.

I also need to find out what the BFO pitch switch and dial is all about. I have tried it both on and off, but off seems to do better until I do my homework.

SW is exciting to me, and I can't wait till I get some real results.

Thanks again!

~R
The BFO is a beat frequency oscillator,you use it to tune the ssb or single sideband stations (the ones that sound like donald duck) and cw (morse code). Have fun you and enjoy the HF spectrum.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, the BFO stuff typically takes the dexterity of a veteran safecracker...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
DTV blows

I've got the RatShack equivalent like Sandy

Don't overlook the "Internal/External" antenna switch right next to the RCA (!) antenna input on the rear panel. I jerry-rigged a homebrew antenna plug where the pin went to the mandatory longwire antenna, the shell to a good ground, and had to spray the Internal/External switch contacts with cleaner. If you don't have at least a 30-40ft. wire outdoors, reception will not be very good.

You also may need to spray contact cleaner in the tiny gap between the tuning knob and the cabinet, as the encoder switch contacts eventually get dirty, resulting in the occasional runaway self-tuning scenario! I did this and everything turned out just fine.

One other thing to remember is that you're on the west coast. Most international broadcasters have traditionally beamed their broadcasts to the east coast, and in the process, short-changing west coast listeners. You'll probably have better luck with broadcasters from Asian countries rather than Europe.

Tom
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 AM
AK Member

You might try this antenna - a 25 foot speaker wire split to make a dipole, try to get the ends as far apart as possible. (that's one leg to the outer conductor and one leg to the inner conductor of the RCA plug)

Worked reasonably well for me when I had no outdoor options, I just ran it behind the furniture. You could experiment with orienting it in different directions as dipoles are pretty directional.

- Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Near and Far Horizons

...and then there's Avocado's avatar...a wonderful rocket-ship crystal radio...nice!

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"