Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

no high voltage

well im at it still with the ctc15 well at least i thought it would fire up but has no high voltage at all. there is nothing going to the fly, dvm shows nothing but tubes are all lit and new. any hints to where i may have over looked, what if the yoke had an open, is this a possible cause for no hi voltage. the yoke coil itself looks fine but i did not remove the cover yet to see if anything may be burned there but dont know if this would be the main hi voltage problem. i forgot to mention that the single wire plug on top of the horiz output tube i checked with a dvm on dc and ground to that wire is nothing, this is the tube that drives the fly,6DQ5,????

Last edited by timmy; 04-25-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check voltages at the tubes and compair them to what the SAMS folder says they should be. You might find a bad capacitor or resistor.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

The voltage comes through the damper to the flyback then to the cap of the horizontal output. Never put your meter on that cap unless its disconnected from the tube. If the thing happens to be working your meter will be instantly smoked. Unplug the cap and check the end going to the flyback, should be around 400volts dc.
If theres nothing there work from the damper forward. You will need the schematic. They flyback could be open however thats unlikely.
They yoke can cause low high voltage and cause the horizontal output tube to red plate if its shorted but generally wont cause a no voltage on the cap condition. Keep the cap off the horizontal output tube while your are troubleshooting with a meter in that area. You can easily smoke the meter, shock or burn yourself.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

ok got hi voltage and thanks again to ampico kid the circuit breaker was tripped and would not reset easily, but got the hi voltage now but the vert output tube went out, not lit, just lines across the screen and brightness down low only shows 4kv, dont know if this has to do with that voltage or i just have to adjust the hi voltage adjust pot to raise it because i think these pots were infact touched. vert problem now. and the plug from the horiz output tube off i did test it and there is 412vdc at that wire.

Last edited by timmy; 04-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Remove the horiz out tube completely. Running it with no plate voltage is hard on the tube.
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

i dont understand. the vert output tube is not lit.ok i get it yes it is hard on the crt but it was only on for less then a minute.

Last edited by timmy; 04-26-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
i dont understand. the vert output tube is not lit.ok i get it yes it is hard on the crt but it was only on for less then a minute.
I was refering to the horiz out tube, not the vert out tube. When others refered to removing the top cap of the horiz out tube when troubleshooting the rest of the set. Try wiggling the vert tube to get it to light up. Could be loose connections on the socket.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Loose tube sockets, bad solder connections at the tube socket pins, dirty contacts inside the tube socket, and bad ground connections were all common problems with RCA tube type color TV's.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

well thats what it was a bad solder joint that i missed. now i have low hv and i have been working with ampico kid which has been a very big help to me on this project. i have 14kv at the crt anode bright turned down, and should be 23kv and cannot adjust up from the hv pot so something else is going on in there.