Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

E57 power supply choke question

Hi,
My Electrola E57 went silent the other day while listening to the radio. I've tracked it down to a choke in the power supply which has opened up, possibly because the resistor in front of it has wandered down from its nominal 70K to 50K. Anyway, I've attached a partial schematic. Sorry about the image quality, its from a pdf that was scanned at a relatively low resolution.

The caps were all replaced about 6 months ago. Could someone give me a guess as to what inductance I should replace the open choke with? I suppose I could up the size of the caps and replace it with an appropriate resistance, but I would rather keep things as original as I can.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA_R-35_R-39_R-57ServiceManual-7 copy.jpg (45.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Too little of the schematic for us to help.

On the other hand, why not pull the choke apart and see if it can be repaired? Even if not, you can see the wire size, weigh the unit, and get very close regarding its ratings.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I've finally had a little free time again. Dug out my old copy of Millman & Halkias, made some assumptions, did some calculations, and decided that about 7 Henrys @ 50 ma would do the job. Found a Weber 9H choke @125 ma (replacement for a guitar amp) for pretty cheap and plopped it in. Replaced the out of spec resistor at the same time, and its all working a treat again.

Here's what it looks like (sorry for the lousy photo. used my phone since I was too lazy to go upstairs to get my camera)
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newchoke.jpg (27.6 KB, 8 views)