Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

ctc15 flyback subsitute

well since the ctc15 flyback im sure is in demand but is no longer available so i think it time for all of us tv people to put our heads together to come up with a way to use a different or maybe modern flyback to continue using these old sets that we all work hard on to restore, but what happens if the fly goes bad, then what, just use the set to put pictures on. what i think we need to do is to look into voltages and pinouts and just maybe someone can come up with a safe and reliable way to substitue a modern flyback for these old sets that refuse to die thanks to us. anything is possible and if humans made or engineered it than humans can find the solution to something we already made, where there is a will there is a way.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Easier said than done. I have done this with the later rca sets and had success simply because so many other sets were rca clones. The 15 would be a bit tougher. Anything from a modern solid state set is out totally.

Your best option would be to baby and take care of the one you have if its working. Make sure its well ventilated, check and adjust the cathode current for minimum, lower the line voltage to the set. I have found running the set at 105volts makes a HUGE difference on the heat and ware of the entire set.
If yours is dead, look for a new old stock one. They pop up from time to time.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Longterm I think this is an issue. There have been some discussions in the past; from what I remember, there is a lot of precision engineering involved in having a flyback work properly. My first thought is that rewinding would be the best option. Another thought would be to retrofit more common flys from the same era. There were oodles of CTC-15 clones but I think some of the offbrands used propriety flybacks-I think. Maybe some of those oddballs could be made to work. Another concern I have is with some of the horizontal output tubes that are getting very, very pricey. Either the Russians start making them, or we could have a problem there. I wonder, is there any possibility of using a cheap series string HO running off a seperate filament transformer?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

How about removing the hv winding off the fly and using a tripper off the plate?

As far as the tubes go I would think a 6JE6 would work if you changed the socket.

Good questions. All things I plan on trying some time in near future.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
How about removing the hv winding off the fly and using a tripper off the plate?

As far as the tubes go I would think a 6JE6 would work if you changed the socket.

Good questions. All things I plan on trying some time in near future.
Definitely. Take a look at the zenith 4 tube hybrids. Small fly, trippler, focus divider. Shouldn't be too crazy.

Maybe installing a driver transformer at the output of the oscillator and having a transistorized HO section? Would make for a little more reliability and better HV regulation. . .
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

well the set i have is a ctc15 and the fly was changed and it looks new how long ago i dont know, but i still keep watch for a nos fly.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

how would the cathode current be checked would this be done on the horiz board with one of those coils using the allen tool, if so then ill refer to the sams folder, i do remember reading something about current being set at 220ma as this maybe it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Followin' the Rules...

One thing is for sure - they are pricey when you do find them. Moyers had a CTC-16 flyback on eBay last year, and I got it for 77 bucks. Now I have a spare "tire."

You can easily set up a saved search on eBay where they'll email you when one is listed. I had one, but found mine through a Google Alert. Google datamines the web so frequently, they reported the flyback was on eBay a full day before eBay reported it through my saved search. Just set up one for the part number, and separate ones for all the subs too - Thordarson, Halldorson, and Triad.

Triad's cross reference is on their website, in their archives. TV-81 is the 1981 cross reference, and contains the most info. Thordarson and Halldorson merged with some similar part numbers, but still set up separate searches/alerts for them.

BTW, Moyers has a bunch of NOS RCA and Philco knobs form the 50's/60's up on eBay right now. Mescosun is their user name.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Flybacks from CTC-11 to CTC 16 are all electrically the same. With some hay wiring you can make them work. What I did was to mark the leads with the schematic in front of me so I know where to connect the wires in the destination set. Back in the day when RCA were smoking flybacks with the 3A3 plate cap on the donut I was using flybacks with plate cap leads. A little time consuming but hay if its on the shelf use it! Doogie
Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Yes, I remember seeing Thordarson Fly277's with plate cap leads being used where a FLY308 should've gone - for the strict reason that the 3A3 would no longer rest in the fly. Made me scratch my head at first, but the set worked!

Still, I've never seen a bad Fly308 in a set, but would probably make the change if I had the opportunity.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma