Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Danny in Cleveland

New DVD player suggestion

Hi all
I'm about to purchase a new replacement DVD player that is now over 10 years old by JVC. What particular make & model currently on the market is best? I have been trying to play some poorer quality mass produced 8 hour discs that simply won't track too well on my old machine (or not at all). Even some of the better quality discs play real dark, poor luminance. I don't want a cheap-O player and just want a few suggestions what to look for. I have a Best Buy gift card I need to use. Thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

At this point I wouldn't mess with a DVD player, most of them built today are cheap and junky.

You can get a Blu ray player for less than $100 now and it's backwards compatible with DVD's.

I would stick to the majors like Sony or Panasonic, maybe Samsung.
Many of the Videophile crowd like the Oppo brand but they are fairly pricy and I don't think BB has them.

If you really want just a DVD player then I'd hit the Thrifts, lots of late model players showing up for less than $25. Be sure to get a Progressive Scan model, though most of them are these days.
There are even some Blu ray players showing up at Thrifts, I would avoid them unless they are really new, the old ones are very slow.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Danny in Cleveland

I didn't know there was a difference between a blue ray & DVD player. I don't know what a blue ray is but as long as it plays DVDs I don't care. Thanks for the 2 cents!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Blu ray is High Definition (1080p) but it will play standard DVD's.
If you are using an older TV just be sure the player has an r.f. output or Composite (Yellow RCA jack) or Component (Red, Green & Blue RCA jacks + R&L Audio) whichever your set supports.

What type of TV are you using (4:3, 16:9?) and how old is it?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
i <3 my Denon

If you have a high definition tv, then you'll want a Blu-Ray player soely on the purpose that it will do a much better job of upconverting the video. Plus most of them support Netflix streaming.

I bought an LG for $89. Blu-Ray output is clear and sharp, dvd playback looks stunning on my flat panel (not an easy task), and Netflix streaming is fun.

Even if you have an older non HDTV, like mentioned, mmost DVD players are cheaply made with everything going toward Blu-Ray. If you plan on upgrading the TV, you can jump ahead, get a player and maybe a couple blu-rays.

Last edited by dewdude; 04-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
<----Zenith C845

Finally made the switch to Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
If you have a high definition tv, then you'll want a Blu-Ray player soely on the purpose that it will do a much better job of upconverting the video. Plus most of them support Netflix streaming.

I bought an LG for $89. Blu-Ray output is clear and sharp, dvd playback looks stunning on my flat panel (not an easy task), and Netflix streaming is fun.

Even if you have an older non HDTV, like mentioned, mmost DVD players are cheaply made with everything going toward Blu-Ray. If you plan on upgrading the TV, you can jump ahead, get a player and maybe a couple blu-rays.
I finally replaced my Memorex MVD-2042 standard DVD player three days ago with an LG Blu-ray similar to the one you have, the reason being that I already have a flat screen TV and wanted a DVD player that could take advantage of the higher resolution FPs are capable of. My experiences with the LG player are identical to yours--great picture on my 19" flat screen, and I swear the image is sharper and clearer than the output from my old DVD. Every disk in my DVD collection (all standard DVDs, no Blu-rays yet), at least the ones I've played so far, looks better than it ever did under the former standard. Must be the up-conversion feature built in to all Blu-ray players.

I haven't tested my LG player's Internet capabilities yet, because I don't think I have the correct cables. A composite video cable was included with the player, but nothing for the ethernet connection. What type of cable is required to connect a so-called "smart" Blu-ray player to the Internet, solely for the purpose of watching streaming video?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
What type of cable is required to connect a so-called "smart" Blu-ray player to the Internet, solely for the purpose of watching streaming video?
Requires the same connection as a computer.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Requires the same connection as a computer.
Thanks much for the info.

I am also wondering why the instruction manual for my Blu-ray player (on a DVD rather than a printed book -- LG must be going green) cautions -- nay, warns -- against connecting a telephone cable directly to the ethernet port. Can this connection damage the player, or will it simply not work, producing little more than a blank screen?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I suspect the ~48 volts from the phone line could damage the network circuit on the player.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

In theory a Phone plug shouldn't fit in an Ethernet connector anyway, however it is smaller so there's a chance someone would do it and just happen to make the connection to the voltage.

Some players are wireless capable (or at least the Roku is) but otherwise you just need a Cat 5 cable to connect the player to the Router.
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I suspect the ~48 volts from the phone line could damage the network circuit on the player.
yep - ring voltage can fry things
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
It's now illegal to manufacture a Blu Ray player with a component output, just HDMI and composite (I think S-video is allowed, but often omitted). There are devices that can convert HDMI into component, but they are also illegal, so not available from reputable sources.
I guess I should hang on to the first generation Sony I have since it has Component, but it's slower than a Yugo with two dead cylinders.

It really shouldn't matter much for use on a vintage set since they don't really have have the resolution to tell the difference.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

i can tell you what not to buy , my son on my birthday wanted to get me a real nice dvd/vhs player and record to dvd from vhs. he went to bestbuy and overpaid almost 300.00 for a sony player ,that turned out be the biggest peace of #$%^$ i ever owned sometimes you can watch a movie and make it to the end if your lucky without it skipping freezing , but if you rented two movie's for the night to watch no way skip/freeze/skip/freeze .
Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Audiokarma