Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Like my old 6 mega-pixel Canon "PowerShot" S3 camera, it will make the AA batteries "shot" in a week or so if all 4 are left in the camera. So, I always remove one battery when it's sitting. I like this camera because it uses conventional AA batteries. Not sure if there are any new cameras like that.

Rechargeables won't power it long because of the lower voltage of NiMH or NiCd batteries. Camera likes at least 1.35-1.4 V per cell.

The "Procell by Duracell" batteries I usually buy start out fresh about 1.61V and they last longest for me.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of Mallory. I still have the original 1970's Mallory rechargeable Ni Cad D batteries that my late sister got for me when she worked at Cramer Electronics"Now Arrow Electronics" in the late 1970's .They were powerful SOBs.My radios and flash lights ran forever on those batteries.They never leaked.

The Again and Again,GE D rechargables that I have here cant match the performance of the Mallory rechargables.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
I will only buy Panasonic brand batteries. They last longer and in 10 years have not leaked once!
I always like Panasonic batteries but never see them in the stores here.All you see is Duracell,Eveready and Rayovac.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Panasonics are sold here at Dollar Tree. They are getting pushed out by the Sunbeam crappy batteries.

http://www.panasonicbatteryproducts....lus/index.html
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 05-19-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: changed some info
Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I guess Duracell and Kirby are now cousins. Berkshire Hathway also owns Kirby.
Owns my ass too

BH bought out my dealer group two years ago....
Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Like my old 6 mega-pixel Canon "PowerShot" S3 camera, it will make the AA batteries "shot" in a week or so if all 4 are left in the camera. So, I always remove one battery when it's sitting. I like this camera because it uses conventional AA batteries. Not sure if there are any new cameras like that.
Probably not any with full hi-def video recording. Even with a rechargeable battery it eats power mighty fast. I was told about the limitations of AA batteries with 1080p video when I got my last new camera.

The 5-meg junker I had before that took AAs and went through them something fierce.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Actually there are several AA powered cameras available. Seems I am not the only one who dislikes being tied to an expensive proprietary battery pack.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/t...ras-2016-20942
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Owns my ass too

BH bought out my dealer group two years ago....

And they own GEICO & Dairy Queen, among other things.

I've had more leaky Duracell's than all others combined. Energizer is my first choice, & their lithium cells are downright amazing.

In the mid-90's I bought a case of 'c' cell Panasonics from the local freight salvage store with the intention of building a 'b' battery. I still have a handful of 'em in usable condition.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seem like most companies that merge or get bought out by a parent company with their crap management as their their products or service suffer and go down the tubes.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I was getting the big pack of 30 AA or whatever from Radio Shack for $15 or so, never had a problem with them.
But of course, that's over.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Moral to the story is everybody got to take the batteries out of their devices if its not used.Including remote controls.I even take out the rechargables too.If I get sets or VCR's in I automatically take the batteries out of the remotes.Some have already leaked and I had to clean them up.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Energizer is my first choice, & their lithium cells are downright amazing..
Good luck on the Energizers. I had one leak a while back and ruin a Fenix flashlight.
From that same lot of batteries I had one leaking in the packaging it came in. Nowadays I have as much trust in ACDelco alkalines 100 pack for $20 or so on Amazon, as the big name brands. They all leak sometimes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg energizer-leakerE11.jpg (96.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Good luck on the Energizers. I had one leak a while back and ruin a Fenix flashlight.
From that same lot of batteries I had one leaking in the packaging it came in. Nowadays I have as much trust in ACDelco alkalines 100 pack for $20 or so on Amazon, as the big name brands. They all leak sometimes.
Alkalines yes, but I've never seen a leaking lithium, or a leaking 9 volt battery for that matter. I've seen swollen ones but the outer shell contains the mess made by the quad-A cells.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

I use the old-fashioned carbon-zinc cells in low-current or low usage applications, especially clocks and remote controls. They don't leak until after they're completely dead. I've had Energizers and Duracells leak and still have enough voltage to operate the device they were in. It stopped operating when the contacts became too corroded.
It's getting hard to find the carbon-zincs these days. I don't see the Panasonics any more, or the yellow & green ones Mouser electronics used to sell. Wal Mart just stopped selling the yellow RayO Vacs, I just bought some of the Sunbeams from the dollar store, have to see how they work.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Last place i see rayovacs are in BIG LOTS.. SUNBEAMS arent bad, i powered a farm radio with a mess of them..

SR
Audiokarma