Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

VM tri-o-speed model 131

Over the years, I've seen these pop up on ebay and always thought they were interesting looking; so, I finally bought one when one came up for sale on the ARF classifieds. This is a circa '53 VM model 131 tri-o-speed manual phonograph. Actually, it should have been called "quad-o-speed" because it will play the four standard record speeds. This is a one tube wonder unit with a tone control. I think there was a similar model made without a tone control. Looking at the pictures, you can tell that this unit does not have the usual General Industries, or similar, drive mechanism. The cartridge was a high output flat metal Shure turn over crystal cartridge that was bad and it was obvious that someone had been fooling with it. The cartridge was held to the tonearm by some sort of rubber adhesive. I will likely install a current Pfanstiehl P228 cartridge and modify the amp by adding an extra stage to it. It has some minor corner scuffs; but, it is in overall great cosmetic shape. It looks much better than most of what I find in my area. The 45 RPM adapter is spring loaded and retracts down into the platter when a small hole record is placed on the turntable.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is that one of the players that puts the motor (made for lower than line voltage) in series with the tube heater?

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, 90 volt motor in series with a 25L6 tube.