Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Columbia model 105 LP player

Bought this off eBay about ten years ago. I got it NOS, and actually have the box for it too. Have had some free time over holidays and for some reason decided to put some effort into it. So far have polished cabinet with wax, and degreased/lubed 3 speed mechanism. These were sold for about $15.00 in the early 1950s, in order to attract people to the then new LP format which Columbia was promoting.

The case is solid wood (not plywood), and fairly crude. The turntable/motor appears to be made by Webcor (a guess, if anyone knows for sure I'd like to know), and the arm and crystal cartridge are Astatic.

The crystal cartridge has no output, and the idler and turret both have large flat spots due to the lack of a neutral position in the drive mechanism. I'm going to get in touch with the voice of music to see if he can supply me with a new idler and turret. Then have to figure out a way to keep them round when the turntable isn't on.

I've always been very impressed with the quality of 1950s mono Columbia records, and for that reason would like to return this record player to working order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2806.jpg (58.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2804.jpg (103.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2803.jpg (75.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2802.jpg (89.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2795.jpg (43.2 KB, 51 views)