Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember when Lawrence Welk first came on TV. It was a summer replacement, sponsored by Dodge.
The later programs were sponsored by Geritol , very fitting.
How about Stan Freeberg's recording, Wunnerful, Wunnerful. Too funny.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM
<----Zenith C845

I don't like having to get my TV's original remote to change the aspect ratio on some programs either, such as Law and Order on USA network (my GE universal remote doesn't have a zoom button), but that's the way of it these days, like it or not. I know someone who doesn't even bother with the zoom on her flat screen TV--she just watches the programs as the stations transmit them.

I think what's happening is, little by little, the TV networks, including PBS and cable systems such as Time Warner, are changing all their programming to HD because they realize most people have flat screens these days. Further, I think the day is coming (if it hasn't already arrived) when there will be no more 4:3 analog NTSC televisions in use in the US, except for sets in the possession of collectors. HD flat screens are so inexpensive these days (I saw a Craig 19" LED LCD set advertised for $99 in a local Rite-Aid Pharmacy ad in my Sunday paper last week) that just about everyone has one, and has no use for analog TV.

I think it is a mistake, however, to abandon your old CRT set if it is still working. I say this because I have read many stories of people who threw out their old TV when they got a flat screen, then when the FS set quits they are without television. At least it is still possible to watch TV on Time Warner cable (perhaps on some other systems as well) simply by connecting the cable directly to the set, or through a 300-to-75-ohm matching transformer if you have an older TV; this will give you at least channels 2 through 13, which in many areas will insure you still get local channels, such as 3, 4 (downconvert of CBS channel 19), 5, 6, (downconvert of MyTV 43), 7 (QVC), 8, 9 (downconvert of CW 55), 23, 10 (downconvert of PBS channel 25) here in northeastern Ohio, and likely other areas as well. You won't get the popular cable channels with a direct coax connection, but you will get your area's broadcast channels, which are all many people watch anyway. I have very little use for broadcast TV these days except for news, PBS, and the three retro-TV channels (RTV, Antenna TV, MeTV). All the rest of my viewing is either on DVD or VHS; more the former than the latter, although my VHS tape library is much larger than my DVD collection at this time.

BTW (for Kamakiri): I didn't realize you had Time Warner cable; I thought you were still watching TV using an OTA antenna. I also did not realize TW cable is converting to HD. In fact, if you hadn't mentioned it in your post, I wouldn't have known it at all, since I do not get HD broadcast TV here. The reason is I am using a direct coax cable connection to the TV (Insignia 19" flat screen), without a cable box. I read somewhere it is impossible to get high-definition programming via coax. To get any kind of HD reception, one must use a cable box with an HDMI cable to the TV. Unfortunate, but again, that's the way of it.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Wife and I always watch the Lawrence Welk show on PBS on Sunday nights.
That doesn't really surprise me considering the source of your Ken Delo avatar. Fortunately I got back drag-and-drop image search ability in Google when I installed TenFourFox, and that was its first use.

Still haven't found a pic of a copper North-American Ford Granada Ghia. In spite of my very specific search string, I get mostly the Euro-trash. I haven't tried since the first time though. Might have to hit up a North-American Granada enthusiast site.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Look, OLD TVs are obsolete, I bought a Jensen portable TV w/ digital tuner a few years back for cheap. Everyone that saw it working was amazed how good picture quality was. If old TVs really had wide spread colectibility, SOMEONE would of saved ALL equipment from a CRT shop to refubish CRTS as a cottage industry. THERE was at the height of TV industry probaly a couple of hundred CRT rebuilding businesses worldwide?

Like I said obsolete like the hula hoop.............................................. .....

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations, "you win" !
Audiokarma
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecollect View Post
Look, OLD TVs are obsolete, I bought a Jensen portable TV w/ digital tuner a few years back for cheap. Everyone that saw it working was amazed how good picture quality was. If old TVs really had wide spread colectibility, SOMEONE would of saved ALL equipment from a CRT shop to refubish CRTS as a cottage industry. THERE was at the height of TV industry probaly a couple of hundred CRT rebuilding businesses worldwide?

Like I said obsolete like the hula hoop.............................................. .....

I'll take a hula hoop over a flat panel.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Same here!!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Grab a Last Generation CRT TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What all of you should be looking for is a last generationT TV for cheap--- I picked up a fine pitch Sony HD CRT TV today for $35. Has 8 to 10 inputs!! has all new and old standards for connections.

You can watch HD or pick low def channels if stuck on that time warp thing. Low def channels look great except blurred looking since old standard w/ less definition. The contrast level on this thing is AMAZING, 40 inches of viewing greatness makes for free, easy viewing on the eyes.

You're loosing all that fine picture information when watching low def, PICK a channel that broadcasts low and HD at, the same time w/ same program--you'll see differences more when flipping back and forth between the two.

Black levels of a plasma, TONS of input for all your media. I just put a Muppets show on and one character appears floating in air since image so sharp and clear. Life like and a 3D quality. You can watch HD and watch retro shows in NTSC. The best bargain in TV................

Last edited by vintagecollect; 09-12-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I might take one for free, not enough interest to buy. I would rather watch my retro shows on a retro TV. I want something that looks good to me when it's off as well. Those HD CRT TVs do beat the crap out of a flat-panel though.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I prefer standard Def
Audiokarma