Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Tom I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

I put all of the original tubes back in just to be sure but the wavy-ness is still there unfortunately.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

That bend is from a power supply filter cap. Any chance one of the replacements could be miswired or too-low a value?
(An example of miswiring might be grounding a cap that should't be grounded.)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Also if your putting your light bulb in series with the AC line, the bulb will light bright as the tubes will be pulling current to light the filaments. It's best to put the bulb in series with the B+ line, right before the rectifiers (diodes) which replaced the selenium's.
I never really considered the difference in using the 100 Watt lamp for "slow starting" a transformer-less set. The whole idea of using (normally) a 100 Watt lamp is to reduce the voltage/current available to and thus protecting a possibly expensive power transformer. This is a cheap, but effective way (for those without a variable AC source) of keeping from doing a lot of damage by introducing full line voltage to a device possibly dormant for decades. I used to do it a lot until I was lucky enough to find an old Select-a-Volt unit which is NOT an isolation transformer like a Variac, so it's not quite a safe, but just as effective. I now have an industrial size Variac, but it has some goofy plugs for input and output that I have no idea where to find, so for now I am not using the two ton monster.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
M is for Memory

Not all variacs have isolation...Mine for example is just a variable tap auto-transformer which has continuity between each respective input conductor and output conductor.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update, I've discovered why this set had brightness issues, the 8BP4 has a G1 short in it.

I came to this conclusion after I tested a 7JP4 in the set, and the 7JP4 did allow the brightness to be turned all the way down, and there were no retrace lines. The focus was also improved.

So I tried the "remove G1 shorts" function on my Sencore CR70. It actually worked, for a few minutes. The picture was much better and I could adjust away the retrace lines and have good focus and contrast. But, after 3-5 minutes the brightness would jump back up in a couple quick steps and be back to the way it was.

I also noticed no spark during the remove short process on the CR70.

Is there anything else I can do? I tried the "extended" G1 short removal process in the Sencore manual but that actually did nothing. I also tried rotating and shaking the set around and tapping the neck of the CRT with no change...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (60.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 AM
RCA 741PCS

So you were able to get your CR-70 working properly ? Does it still show a G1 short ? Given the scarcity of 8BP4s, I'd avoid being too aggressive with it.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question

After running the calibration tests for the CR70, I determined the "beam builder" functions all work OK, the test functions are out on my unit. Since the 7JP4 worked good, it had to be the CRT and the symptoms were exactly that of a G1 short.

You're right, I think it's not worth zapping further. I left the tv running for about 20 min, and while the G1 short is not completely gone, the performance of the 8BP4 is better than before. If I adjust it just right, now I get a pretty darn good enough picture.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture of it running today-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moto1.jpg (37.7 KB, 31 views)