Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Spaced Command ?

I have a Zenith TV that if a CRT becomes available for I plan to restore . Just for kicks in the meantime I recapped the two electrolytics and the 4 or 5 other paper caps in the space command chassis , and got it working . Sort of . The thing is , it will change the channels just fine with the channel button on the 8 or 10 working space command clickers that I have (I "inherited" a box of about 20 different mfg's clickers when I got the set) , but , not a one of the seemingly working Zenith clickers will activate the on/off volume function . All voltages on all tubes are in spec with the sam's using my trusty ol Simpson 260 . Ok so now here's the real puzzling thing , I have one Admiral clicker that WILL activate the on/off volume function just as pretty as you please with it's on/off volume button , and will do it at the same distance (about 30 feet from the TV) as the Zenith clicker will do the channels ! Obviously it's now a tone issue , something's not right in the receiver that its causing the on/off volume to respond to the different frequency of the Admiral clicker instead of the Zenith , do you think I'm on the right path here with this reason ?. Having just a sams , with no troubleshooting or adjustment instructions for the space command , I have no clue how to get it listening for the Zenith instead of the Admiral clicker on the on/off volume function , anybody got any info or knowledge about these systems to give me some tips/advice here ?

PS , I say "clicker" instead of "remote" cause that's what we called them back when they were still in use . The term "remote" seemed to have come in when they went to the non clicking electronic remote controls ...
Old 08-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Got a model number for the set? Hard to pull a Sams without it....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

My apologies , Sorry I forgot that , the TV is 16F25Q and the remote chassis is S-48583 in Sams set 523 folder 2 .

Here are a few pictures of the set in question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Space Command 1.jpg (77.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Space Command 2.jpg (40.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Space Command 3.jpg (71.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith TV 1.jpg (53.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Followin' the Rules...

The two coils mid-chassis on the remote chassis determine the receiver frequencies for the two functions. If you can figure out which one controls the on-of, you can "rock" the coil slug core about a 1/4 turn at a time to see if it will respond to an on-off tone from the transmitter. Be sure to use the correct SC remote - the chassis should be a SC 300 chassis, so try only with a 300 remote.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
The two coils mid-chassis on the remote chassis determine the receiver frequencies for the two functions. If you can figure out which one controls the on-of, you can "rock" the coil slug core about a 1/4 turn at a time to see if it will respond to an on-off tone from the transmitter. Be sure to use the correct SC remote - the chassis should be a SC 300 chassis, so try only with a 300 remote.
Thank You , I had a suspicion about the two coils but didn't want to try turning either of them them without knowing for sure that the two coils are what determines the two function's frequencies . It will be a couple of days till I'm able to experiment a bit with it and I will report back my results .
Audiokarma