Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Workin' Late Again

Setchell Carlson Model 15

I stumbled across this set last week on our local CL. I actually looked at it more than once and didn't even recognize what it was. The first picture is as it was in the CL ad. Anyhow at about 9pm last Thursday evening, I was again looking at the ad when I happened to look over at my model 2500 and a light went off. Darned if it wasn't the same exact knob lineup and spacing. As far as I can tell the two sets share the same main chaises. However this model 15 has at least a couple earlier versions of the sub chassis modules. I was completely unaware that an earlier model 15 even existed, as it's not listed in Riders or Sams documentation. Some time in the past somebody had replaced the focus pot with an extended shaft version, and so the nameplate and two knobs were removed and I suppose left behind when the set changed hands. As dumb luck would have it I found replacements for those items in my stash of Setchell Carlson parts I have been hording. So I am very excited to have run across an earlier version Setchell Carlson with a round picture tube. If anyone has or knows of any more info on this set I would be grateful to hear more about it. I'll post more pictures of the chassis when I get into it.

[

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 11-30-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:47 PM
Workin' Late Again

For comparison here's a picture of my model 2500 that I found a few years ago. Somewhere on another forum there's a chassis restoration thread I did on this one.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very cool and very uncommon sets. Value-wise I would say it's pretty moderate due to the simple lines, but still pretty rare. Amazing you had the hardware to make the tabletop complete. Without it would've killed it's value. Setchell-Carlson is a mysterious company. I have a factory radio from 1940 from them and not only is the factory schematics hand drawn, but there're are rather odd elements to the set and crudely done assemblies. It must been a fairly small operation, at least in the early days.

Last edited by decojoe67; 11-30-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Very cool and very uncommon sets. Value-wise I would say it's pretty moderate due to the simple lines, but still pretty rare. Amazing you had the hardware to make the tabletop complete. Without it would've killed it's value. Setchell-Carlson is a mysterious company. I have a factory radio from 1940 from them and not only is the factory schematics hand drawn, but there're are rather odd elements to the set and crudely done assemblies. It must been a fairly small operation, at least in the early days.
Hey Joe, I agree they're not much to look at. They are first most of historical significance to me because I basically live in the back yard of Setchell Carlson country, being only about 100 miles from where these were manufactured. The extra parts I had on hand actually came from a very poor 2nd example of my 2500. I found those two sets only a few years apart. It's hard telling just what else could show up from this company around here. When Setchell Carlson came out with that radio nicknamed "The Jet", they really broke the boring mold. Oddly enough I've never run across one of those locally.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 11-30-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Hey Joe, I agree they're not much to look at. They are first most of historical significance to me because I basically live in the back yard of Setchell Carlson country, being only about 100 miles from where these were manufactured. The extra parts I had on hand actually came from a very poor 2nd example of my 2500. I found those two sets only a few years apart. It's hard telling just what else could show up from this company around here. When Setchell Carlson came out with that radio nicknamed "The Jet", they really brook the boring mold. Oddly enough I've never run across one of those locally.
Yes, it seems that they grew sizably after WWII, and, along with the "Jet", they became more well known. Before that they were rather piecemealed together radios often using generic cabinets. One thing I can say about my '40 S-C radio is that the chassis is actually a high quality one that performs above average. They didn't cut corners in that area.
Audiokarma
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Setchell Carlson TV with No Model Number

Hi Kevin, I just thought I'd let you know that I have a Setchell Carlson TV that looks exactly like your model 15, but mine doesn't have a model number on it. It looks like the model number was obliterated at the factory. As you can see, mine is missing some knobs and the long narrow cover over the front controls. It also has a wooden stand that, if I remember right, matches the TV (these are in storage so I can't see the stand right now).

Greg Farmer

Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Workin' Late Again

Hi Greg,

Sorry for my very late response to your posting. Somehow I did not get any email notification and had not been paying much attention in the last couple months. I am very glad you posted about your set, and I'd be very interested in knowing more details if and when you get your set out of storage. According to your serial number, one would have to assume your set was made after mine. Also your one large knob is the same style as on my rectangular CRT console, which if I recall that chassis is a model 25. Very curious that they stamped or milled out the model number on yours.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 05-24-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:09 PM
M is for Memory

I'd love to have one of those early table model SC sets someday.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Man, that 2500 is one sweet TV!
Old 11-27-2021, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

What a nice score Kevin.

Sure looks like a well made set with all the shielding on the chassis.

Does it also have a built in radio? Just looking at the loop antenna in Greg's looks like it's for AM broadcast.

Last edited by Tube TV; 11-27-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I grew up just 5 minutes south of New Brighton, MN. Do you know if they were still in business in the 1970's... if so, I likely saw their factory at some point. I was born in 1967.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:19 PM
M is for Memory

Their still in business today as Audiotronics. Around 1970 3M bought them and merged them with their Wollensak electronics division then somewhere around 1980 3M spun their electronics division off into Audiotronics...I can't tell you what factories they had open then, but that's what I remember of their history.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-29-2021, 12:25 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
What a nice score Kevin.

Sure looks like a well made set with all the shielding on the chassis.

Does it also have a built in radio? Just looking at the loop antenna in Greg's looks like it's for AM broadcast.
Thank you, and yes they do have an AM radio built on it's own chassis that plugs into the main chassis, just like the rest of the circuit units do.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:32 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Man, that 2500 is one sweet TV!
Thanks. I picked up another model 2500 early last spring, which is the 4th one of those I've come across.