Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Since I think that repairs are a legitimate part of a set's history, and usually find a mix of tube brands and one or more post-manuafacture capacitors, I usually don't worry about restuffing all the caps, etc. If the set is a particularly rare unit or nice candidate, I lean toward remaking or restuffing caps, resistors, and using cloth covered wire.

I often roll metal film resistors in epoxy putty to get the appropriate external dimensions and shape. These are smoothed and repainted. Since I do not know, specifically, what this does to the voltage rating and wattage, I use a considerably higher rated resistor than is otherwise needed. This usually doesn't seem to present a problem for me because of the tendency for these modern resistors to be smaller for a given set of ratings.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cahill View Post
Neh. Me, I enjoy the fun of bringing them back to life from the dead. And, working that's less waste, so, less stuff at the dump. I get a real thrill seeing the face of the tube light up for the first time in Lord knows how many years.

I remember Bill Cahill's thread saga with his RCA television several years ago.
That was so interesting to me and was the #1 reason I jumped from
radio restoration to television restoration. It made me want
to intensely search for my first television - I was looking for
a 1950'ish Philco until I found my first TV, a 1950 Zenith porthole.
Now I have 6 restored TVs with 2 others in the pipeline.

Whenever we start a restoration project, I think it is a great idea to
start a discussion thread and post your progress and query for solutions.
Not only does it help you the restorer and entertain the rest of us, but its
likely to bring in other folks to this hobby.

Carl
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

the

As to which TVs should be the object of all this discussion, I would say the cut off date, with certain exceptions, would be for sets manufactured up to mid-1948.

I say this because up until that timeframe, total US production was @500,000 to date. After that, production exploded. Exponentially.

The exceptions? We know what they are. Color Sets, 30" DuMonts, etc.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
As to which TVs should be the object of all this discussion, I would say the cut off date, with certain exceptions, would be for sets manufactured up to mid-1948.

I say this because up until that timeframe, total US production was @500,000 to date. After that, production exploded. Exponentially.

The exceptions? We know what they are. Color Sets, 30" DuMonts, etc.
I couldn't even concur with this idea if I were running a radio and television museum! It's almost like saying that (for instance) old automobiles are not relevant or worth fixing up if they are not '53 Corvettes and '55 Thunderbirds. This wonderful website would not be here if we were left to collecting 1940s sets, DuMonts, Predictas' and "roundie" color sets. This is 2014 folks! There isn't that much of that stuff left to keep this hobby alive! There were certainly a lot more sets made in the 50s and 60s by which time the market was flooded. But how many are still left, or still working? Quite a few I suppose, but to me that's a good thing. It gives us lowly worthless set tinkerers something to look forward to. And last; you couldn't give me a Philco Predicta unless you gave me a buyer with more dollars than sense to go with it......
Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I couldn't even concur with this idea if I were running a radio and television museum! It's almost like saying that (for instance) old automobiles are not relevant or worth fixing up if they are not '53 Corvettes and '55 Thunderbirds. This wonderful website would not be here if we were left to collecting 1940s sets, DuMonts, Predictas' and "roundie" color sets. This is 2014 folks! There isn't that much of that stuff left to keep this hobby alive! There were certainly a lot more sets made in the 50s and 60s by which time the market was flooded. But how many are still left, or still working? Quite a few I suppose, but to me that's a good thing. It gives us lowly worthless set tinkerers something to look forward to. And last; you couldn't give me a Philco Predicta unless you gave me a buyer with more dollars than sense to go with it......
I think you are misinterpreting him. I think what he is saying is that only the ultra-rare/historically signifficant/desirable sets merit worry over whether to restore or leave original for the sake of exacting historical preservation.
The newer more common ones can be restored/enjoyed, left to sit or parted out at the owner's choice without it meriting serious thought as to whether or not one is destroying the historical value. The 50's and newer sets are still pretty damn common so if you change the caps or repair one you are most likely not destroying the originality of the only untouched/virginal example in existence.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think you are misinterpreting him. I think what he is saying is that only the ultra-rare/historically signifficant/desirable sets merit worry over whether to restore or leave original for the sake of exacting historical preservation.
I see your point Tom and I sincerely hope that I didn't come off too strongly on my reply to his post. I used his quote, but it just reminded me of the times through the years, or here that I have taken on the feeling that there are some that think that only sets from the 40s, or "pre-war", or Predictas and a few others are worthy of being in the big leagues if you will. And I guess there is some truth to that, especially when it comes to the "pre-war" and shortly post war sets that there really weren't many of to begin with. So if you have one, you really are dealing with a museum piece and not simply nostalgia.

Again, sorry if I was off beat on this one...
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I like this thread...

...so i'd like to share my opinion with you:
If a prewar set is in untouched original condition I would not do anything except a mild cleaning.
I made a sad experience last year with an historical interesting radio I found on a fleamarked. I was great optical condition and the price was o.k. My plan was not to restore it and leave it original condition. When I removed the chassis I could not believe my eyes: Almost everything included the wiring was replaced and messed up in a very poor way. Also many original parts were missing. To make a long story short: I disassembled everything and set up as good as I could with old parts from a junk set in the way it should be. So the set isn't original anymore but in a much more original and better condition as I bought it. I also found out why the set once was 'repaired': G1 of the output tube had no effect even though emission was good. Maybe this was the reason why the set was not used anymore and still exists.

Here is an other interesting story you might like. As far as I heared the vehicle was not restored but cleaned and preserved:

http://www.businessinsider.com/very-...austria-2014-1

Greetings Josef
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

After reading postings here and pondering on this subject, my thinking is evolving
back moreso to restore the electronics working condition. Within 50 years, there will
be few folks, much fewer than us, who will have the capability to restore the
electronics anyway. Preserving working restored sets I think is a good thing for our
grandchildren to cherish.

As far as cabinetry, I like the patina of an original finish but if the finish is not
presentable then refiniishing is in order no matter how rare the set.

As time progresses, I wonder *who* is going to take ownership of all these carefully
cared for television sets we now possess? There are only a handful of museums and
most of the young folks are not interested in antiques much less an old black
and white television they don't identify with from *their* childhood.

Do you think there will be a renaissance with the younger crowd where they will
someday seek out the things we cherish, like antique radios, televisions, and telephones?
Or do you think their restoration activities will be restoring IKEA-like furniture they identify with?
If not, where is all this stuff we are "hoarding" going? Perhaps it will be sold at
our Estate Auctions to numerous individuals in "shotgun" fashion. The high bidder
most likely a curious unknowledgeable person who will quickly tire of the item
puts it in his damp basement, attic, or storage shed -- back where we ourselves
liberated the sets. But then, there will be no one to rescue them.

Carl

Last edited by cwmoser; 02-01-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
Within 50 years, there will
be few folks, much fewer than us, who will have the capability to restore the
electronics anyway.

most of the young folks are not interested in antiques much less an old black
and white television they don't identify with.
Hi Carl,

I think you may be being overly pessimistic. It only takes a very small percentage of the population to be excited by our old junk for there to be homes for it in the future and anyone thus excited will have no difficulty in understanding the circuitry.

I was a child of the 1950s and as a child the thought of owning a television set that was wholly designed and constructed with early 30s technology really excited me so I don't see why a small proportion of today's youngsters will not be fascinated by things that were built of stuff more than 20 years before they were born. Granted it might not be televisions. Perhaps old laptops or games consoles.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott; 02-01-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Yes. This is exactly what I meant
Audiokarma