Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Microtouch 2G needle issue

Hey guys, I recently (yesterday) acquired a Zenith Microtouch 2G changer. The record player itself is a portable (barely) model, with the two speakers that swing out on either side of the cabinet. It was the same size as the 19" tin can Zenith I got at the same time, but about 1/4 of the weight. The turntable itself then folds down. I finally understand all of the hype over these changers, as this is easily the best record player I've ever owned. I have been having running into a problem, over and over again. I was playing a 45 (I Must Be Dreaming/Little Devil by Neil Sedaka, if anyone was wondering) whenever the record was suddenly "broken". You know, when the needle gets trapped and plays the same ting over and over and over until you pick it up off the record. I was heart broken, as it was one of my favorites. (Yes, I can hear you calling me a sissy in your head) The record had never done that before. I then had a random hunch, and went to play the record on my crappy, early 1980s BSR changer, hacked into place in the console I have. The record didn't "break" this time. I then went to play it on the Microtouch again, and it didn't do it this time. I then played another 45 (We Got Love - Bobby Rydell), and it did the same thing. I went to try what I did with the Neil Sedaka 45 on the BSR, and it worked again. Now, it seems to be doing this to every record I play. I've stopped playing any, as one there was one I couldn't get out. I have theorized that the problem has something to do with the needle. Is it hitting dirt/dust and getting stuck on that? Is there some on the needle that I should get off? Could it be the little brush that the needle passes over that is picking up dirt/dust and putting it on the record? I'm gun shy about cleaning the the needle, as I hear that's the money maker/most expensive part. What would be the best way to clean it? With other record players, I've just used a wet Q-Tip, but I fear that'd be too rough on this one. So, is the problem what I think it is, and how could I solve it? Or, I might be completely wrong about what is causing this.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
David
Old 01-09-2016, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

If its doing it in the last half of the song, its probably due to the trip mechanism of the changer being gummed up. The trip mechanism senses how fast the needle is moving across the record, and is designed to trip the change cycle when the needle enters the run-out grooves. This mechanism only comes into play toward the last part of the record. When was the changer serviced last? you car wouldn't run for 50 years without an oil change either, lubricants get hard and gummy after a few decades. You may still need a new needle, though, they don't last forever, and a worn one will not track as well and damage records. I like to have a spare on hand, helps to troubleshoot potential needle issues. If the new needle doesn't help, then I know its probably OK and to look elsewhere for the source of the trouble. Its pretty rare for a 1960's changer to work well enough to play a record if it hasn't been serviced in ages. I have dozens of them, not one works 100% unless I've cleaned and lubed it. good bet your motor mounts may need replacing, too. The Voice of music website has parts (and needles). Most of the Zenith Micro-touch changers were made by VM.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Note that some parts of the trip mechanism must be clean and dry with no oil to work properly, worst thing you can do to a changer is spray it with WD-40... Don't lubricate anything that wasn't originally. Often diss-assembly is required to get the old gummy stuff all out. Look up Chris Cuff's Voice of music changer videos on you-tube, he shows how they come apart. Needles can be cleaned by a soft small paintbrush, with some rubbing alcohol. Dont use a Q-tip, it will snag the needle. Needles are not very expensive for most Zeniths.

Last edited by Olorin67; 01-09-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, it does it during the last minute of the song. I think you hit it right on the nail, I'm going to go straight to that website. I don't know how long it's been since it was serviced, the guy I got it from said that it had been dormant since 1995, and who knows when it was serviced before that.

Last edited by LovesZenith; 01-10-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finally got around to checking the YouTube page, and I couldn't find a match to my changer. I included some pictures. I would have taken the changer out if the player by now, but I can't seem to find out how. There's two screws on the changer itself (one right under where the stylus rests in place, and one further back, in the left corner, almost touching the platter.) Whenever I bring the turn the screwdriver left, to unscrew it, the changer gets tighter onto the player. When I turn the screwdriver right, to tighten it, the changer lifts up, "floating".
I can't seem to find a way to undo the screws to take the changer out. I certainly don't want to force them, but it seems like that would be the only way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith Record Player 3.jpg (43.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith Record Player 4.jpg (50.4 KB, 32 views)
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2016, 07:48 PM
M is for Memory

Those screws don't thread to what holds it, but they are connected to what holds it...The changer is meant to be floating when in use.

There are clips below the threaded portion of the screw. Those clips are meant to be flipped into a position where the changer can be easily be lifted out. With these types of clips on a changer there is ALWAYS a way to get at the under side of the installed changer to flip those clips into the removal position. Don not force it!...If you do you will break those clips and the changer won't have anything to hold it in later.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-11-2016, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those are the transportation screws. like Tom said there's a gizmo on the end of those that must be flipped 90 degrees to lift it out, from underneath. All the VM 1200 series changers are pretty similar mechanically, with minor changes over the years. The cosmetic features on the top side were changed to suit various customers, but the mechanism underneath didnt change much. Many record changers that look different than yours are the same mechanically.,
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Banned

I had the same issue when I was working on a Zenith Solid State Record Player just like the one the OP is working on, I tried to find a way to get inside to remove the changer so I could get inside into the electronics (the changer in question was an old BSR Changer so it was probably from the 1970s instead of the late 1960s like the OPs record player) but the record player I was working on had a blown output transistor in the right channel and I was trying to see if there was any way to get into the record player to get a view of the electronics but I just couldn't find a way to open up the record player cabinet, just like what the OP is having issues with, I think that these later Zenith record players were permanently sealed and weren't meant to be opened up and serviced because otherwise there would of been an obvious way to open up the cabinet without having to resort to busting open the cabinet with a hammer and prybar.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

on some portables, you have to turn the transportation screws all the way to loosen it and allow you to tilt the changer base-plate up a bit, then use a bent coat hanger wire or something to reach in and flip the toggle clips. Sometimes the amps lift out after you take the knobs off and remove nuts around the shaft to remove the faceplate.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is almost always a hole that may have a plug in
it to get at the rear screw clip. Also on the second screw
you usually DONT have to flip the clip, there is a cut in
the mounting board. So once the other side is loose you
kinda slide it sideways & it pops out.
I doubt Zenith made it any harder, they almost never
made a "physically" unservesable product.

Second place to look is at the tone arm swivel point,
they can get sticky there. You can usually feel it moving the
arm back & fourth.....

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
There is almost always a hole that may have a plug in
it to get at the rear screw clip. Also on the second screw
you usually DONT have to flip the clip, there is a cut in
the mounting board. So once the other side is loose you
kinda slide it sideways & it pops out.
I doubt Zenith made it any harder, they almost never
made a "physically" unservesable product.

Second place to look is at the tone arm swivel point,
they can get sticky there. You can usually feel it moving the
arm back & fourth.....

73 Zeno
Well if the one I tried working on did have some sort of plug covering an access hole, I certainly didn't see it or it was extremely well hidden because I didn't see anything, and I didn't see any way to get access to the chassis although the guy that I had worked on it for I had given it back to him and he ended up cutting it open with a dremel tool because he didn't see any way to get it open either other than having to remove the front brass trim piece and then cutting the bottom piece off with a dremel tool and apparently with the one that my friend has in his shop the circuit board was cracked in it (probably from being dropped) because it has an intermittent audio signal) and the right channel's output transistor was blown (which is what I had mentioned to him previously) so he just wired it up so that both speakers played out of the left channel and that was it.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got around to to doing it today. I think I got the clip under the stylus, but I can't for the life of me get the other one. The changer will slide to the right, and start to come out, but it won't come out all the way. It is still attached on the left corner screw. I peeked inside with a flashlight. (which didn't really do much, as it was next to impossible to see) I've taken the speakers off the hinges, for easier access, but I can't find the hole that Zeno speaks of. This might have to be a two person job, having someone hold the changer up, and a flashlight to I can dig around underneath to find a clip, if there even is one.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Haven't touched this one in a while, but I held the changer itself up, and got to the problem area without taking it out. It was quite a chore, but I came in from the left side and worked the coat hanger around. I saw two mechanisms that seemed to work with the needle's arm, and they had a crusty looking gunk in between the two. I took a wild hunch, and knocked the crud off. Bam! Changer good as new! I kept it loose in the cabinet for a few days, running the changer to see if it would revert back to the problem, but it didn't. It's been two weeks now, without a problem, so I guess I can call this a success.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Banned

That's pretty good that the record player got up and running that easily!