Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox 1P3401 chairside

Got this mini aircraft carrier yesterday from back home. Little brother drove it to me on his way to the Carlisle car show. A 1967 vintage Magnavox chairside AM/FM/phono. It is in mint condition in all its solid wood pecan glory. Grandma got it when she retired from the local bank. Mom got it for the next 50 years and now mine. Mom is 91 and did not want it and barely used it. I'll bet it never played vinyl while she had it.

I fired it and it is like new. No hum. FM is sensitive but a bit much bass. AM is not so sensitive. Big loud. Under the hood to come. The phono spins at all four speeds but the needle vanished and is on order. Scraping on the cartridge gives the usual scraping noise. Collaro changer I think.

Apparently there was a companion chairside speaker for true stereo at the other end of the sofa. Not sure if it was just a speaker or part of the stereo multiplex. APB...on the lookout for the companion speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1P3401.jpg (45.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Chicka boom, chicka boom, Doncha jes' love it ?!? Got yrself a REAL Honey, there, Dave....
Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 PM
David Thomas

That's a nice find, and definitely a Collaro changer.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

A bit more on this gem. The selector has an "aux" (line) which would be good for a MP3 player, but there is nothing on the back of the amp or underneath the cabinet. A look with a flashlight shows the phono leads going to the chassis via a 3 pin molex (not RCA) type connector on the top of the chassis and has companion connector that shows up unnamed on the cabinet paper diagram. Curious. Is this a dealer option connection with a $ connector?

The Collaro is spinning but does not do the record change function at all. Not a deal breaker. I did oil a few points while I had it upside down.

Big 12" speakers front and aft. Tweeters are on the rear sides only. Not sure of the tweeter speakers. It is very bass and the highs are tough to find.

And a few dial lights to fix.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 PM
M is for Memory

A pic of the connector would help identify it.

If a mating connector is tough to get you could always just add a normal RCA connector pair with a little solder work...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 10-11-2019, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Brilliant new idea. Buy a FM xmtr and use it everywhere with no cables hanging out of the chairside. Park it on a shelf. Found this one on the interweb. Arrived today and it is great. Comes in two power modes. 0.1w or 0.5w switchable. Adjustable from 76mhz to 108mhz. Line or mic inputs. Line off my little MP3 player did the trick. 50-15000hz freq. range. They make a 1.0w/7.0w version also but I did not want black helicopters circling overhead. And I could pick it up 200' away in the yard at 0.1w.

And I am using it with my dummy Philco console cabinet I got for $20 and filled with a BIN Panasonic 70's receiver and an stray KLH bookshelf speaker at Kutztown. Just a fishtank radio for fun and it is great.

And the Astatic needle arrived also and a quick push-in got that going. Real vinyl noise filling the room. Now to look at checking/replacing the tweeters or crossover caps to get some highs back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmxmtr.jpg (44.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 10-11-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: text
Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Motorola Minion

Dave - I picked the 1956 version up at Kutztown last september and it is missing its amp/speaker companion. The FM (re?) transmitter is pure genius as chances of finding a speaker are rare at best.

Funny how TV guys end up appreciating older Magnavox audio equipment for its rugged sophistication, unlike the TV's where we preferred RCA and Zenith engineering.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Chicka boom, chicka boom, Doncha jes' love it ?!? Got yrself a REAL Honey, there, Dave....
If I can find it, Sandy G, I think I have a spare 45 in nice condition of this one, and next time we meet, if I can find it, I'll give it to you.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Dave - I picked the 1956 version up at Kutztown last september and it is missing its amp/speaker companion. The FM (re?) transmitter is pure genius as chances of finding a speaker are rare at best.

Funny how TV guys end up appreciating older Magnavox audio equipment for its rugged sophistication, unlike the TV's where we preferred RCA and Zenith engineering.
I prefer Magnavox and Zenith console HiFi to RCA, and the former was a major local area employer in the day. And sounded better than anything for the price. I don't hate Stereo era RCA, but they're no Magnavox, no Zenith, no Packard Bell, no Sylvania even on the low end, high end Sylvania is up there with Fisher and HH Scott at the high end in the 1970's and the pre NAP era.