Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bryan, maybe one of the two people Doug found in Florida is the person we are looking for?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Checking the map, Pompano Beach isn't far from the old address of N. Miami. So, who is going to call? No sense several of us calling, worrying someone to death. I looked the number up, it is easy with a google of "Arthur Margolis Pompano Beach FL". I didn't really want to post it on here.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I say go for it Bryan, you already have his number. Let us know what you find out!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmoody
Pete, that is so interesting! To finally find someone that had contact with Art at one time (for me) is unbelievable. I have only known the man through words and pictures, Can you share any stories?
Captain' I've been scratching my butt for four days now trying to recall something to share re my association with Art, to no avail. So late this morning I dug down deep and found a bag of stuff from that time and hit paydirt in some handwritten correspondence between me and Mal Parks, the TAB BOOKS publisher then. It's not what I expected, but it explains my lack of specific recall.

Someone before my tenure at TAB BOOKS signed Art to book contracts that had by my era fallen behind schedule. Nothing so unusual about a late book manuscript in the book business. I had those addresses and numbers for Art to follow up on those late manuscripts.

I had penciled in 'due' in one schedule showing that Art indicated his manuscript was on its way and in fact I found a book by him on an internal publishing schedule, which as far as I know, was ultimately published (don't ask me the title though, it was an early schedule and so subject to much change).

Other Writer Recollections:

Interestingly, I also found a note I had written to myself to review the material in the vault by Jack Darr. another service writer mentioned in this thread.

Anyone recall Homer L. Davidson? He was another servicer who was a prolific writer; he wrote stuff for me in both my magazine and book days.

A lesser known writer was a guy who wrote a robotics book for me but also wrote some servicing stuff, Edward L. Safford (think the spelling is right). Safford is significant in my mind because he claimed to have found a CRT rebuilder somewhere around Washington DC who would rebuild my full-of-air 15GP22. Never got around to doing it though; kinda recall my expectations were not too high to take a chance with my only 15G.

All this history happened in the middle of 1978.

Pete
Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I just tried the number Bryan gave me in Florida (figured I could ask him some questions about re-capping my Zenith, lol )...

No luck.

He was old, he was retired, he has never written any books on TV repair.

He has no other relatives with that name.

Oh well, I guess I can say that I spoke to Art Margolis, just not "the" Art Margolis.

I still say that "Denny Margolis" is the way to go. He's probably still alive, and would put us in touch with his dad if he was around.
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try this one......?

In the PeopleFinders search this is the only guy in the nation that is listed as "Art" Margolis, not "Arthur"....may be worth a shot.

Here is his info:
Margolis, Art
46200 Golden Rod Ln
Palm Desert, CA 92260
760-346-1846

Hope it helps!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Art Margolis Facebook page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I was doing some basement cleaning recently, and came across an Art Margolis book. I know a lot of younger, old-TV lovers like myself liked to read the Margolis books because they were definately written for do-it-yourselfers.

Here's my question: What ever became of ol' Art?

A quick Yahoo search tells me that he eventually wrote some books about trouble-shooting Commodore 128s, so he was alive at least until 1990.

One of the books mentions "Denny Margolis", and repeatedly shows a younger guy working on sets, so I'll go out on a limb and say his son followed him into the business. Who knows what city he was from?

If Art is still around in 2006, I'd think he would be on the internet... Perhaps he has a myspace page? Would be a kick if he joined AK...
There is a Art Margolis tribute page on FB. 1925-1992.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM
console lover

liked
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Art Margolis 1925-1992

There is a Art Margolis tribute page on Facebook. He was credited with writing 57 books. He passed away in 1992.

No doubt his entertaining, yet informative, writing style inspired more than few to pursue careers in science and technology.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Technohippie

Art's books were my introduction to TV repair. Must have checked them out of the library a dozen times as a kid...
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is an old post that was never updated.. Doug Harland found out about Art's passing a few years ago, and he made the tribute page on FB.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

We had a similar situation in the R-390A community. Our guy's name was Nolan Lee, he lived in Florida, IIRC, & he was the was enuf of a comedian to keep you in stitches while he took one of those complicated machines apart.... He definitely one of the "Sages" of the R-390 series, but he was also very quick to help a Noob along. He was there when I first found the internet. But several years' later, he just dropped off the map, which was unnerving, as he also wa one of the more frequent posters. A couple guys did some checking, & found out he'd had a massive, debilitating stroke. He barely even knew who HE was, & all the wealth of Boatanchor knowledge went by the wayside. I THINK I remember reading that his health deteriorated even further, & he passed on. Don't know how old he was, but a snapshot of him made him look like he coulds been anywhere from late twenties to his sixties. Helluva note.

Last edited by Sandy G; 08-15-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Motorola Minion

A tube caddy I bought at an antique mall in 1977 had two copies of Art's book "the Practical handbook of TV repairs". On the front cover Art is shown degaussing a 1967 Philco 19" color set in a metal cabinet. I found one in a trash pile the next year and still have the set. Its heavier than a 19" Zenith CCII

Throughout that book, Art has screenshots of what I deduced were Philadelphia broadcasts. I had an idea he lived in the area. Then I got a tab book "Philco Monochrome service manual" written by Art which had an introduction and foreword signed Art Margolis - and a city in Florida, 1971. He probably got sick of doing emergency antenna work in the winter in South Jersey - LOL

BTW- Homer L Davidson wrote the Admiral color TV manual for tab books.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Technohippie

Lots of Art's writings available in the magazine archives at:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...=1&zoom_sort=0
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Uh, anybody noticed that TomB bumped a 10 year old thread?
Audiokarma