Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47'Plymouth View Post
Hi Bandersan...where is the filter caps on a Radiola 17...that setup is about same power supply thats in my radio!! thanks Jody
Assuming the Radiola 17 power supply is the same, it'll be inside the small box along with a choke. Checkout post #25 in this thread: http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...8&postcount=25

Notice they're pretty small as this radio predates electrolytic caps and most of the filtering is done by the choke.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
RCA 741PCS

While watching items in the Elli Buk auction, I figured I'd kill some time by finishing off my replica hood.

I roughed it up with 600 grit and dabbed on metallic aged brass paint followed by black and burnt umber. Then, I epoxied on some brass strips for mounting in the slots on the escutcheon.

Looks pretty good I think.

Last edited by bandersen; 04-26-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

HAHA!! WOW Bob, ya finally got that hood on the brunswick!! Looks really nice as well!! I left Brunswick pt13 wondering if you made one. Did you replace all the tubes in that set with globes or ST's?

Gee, the woodwork came out so nice as well Bob, when you 1st got this, I said how good can you make this.. I remember the rust was all over the place with this radio! super nice job!!! It looks great!

Last edited by Saturn5tony; 04-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks! ST - I gave up on finding a good set of globe tubes.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

That lamp hood came out great. You can start a side business just making those. Thing is - unlike the Radiolas, there is no logo so you can get away with making your own that way. The only other set like that is for the Graybar sets. They also have the same lamp hood with no logo. I just fell into the hardware for one. One other thing, you might install a welders pad under the SPU as a protective measure against any shorting. Originally there was an asbestos pad glued under there for that purpose. That is how I handled my Radiola 17 and 18. Mine had the original pad missing. The SPUs were still good, but just in case I trimmed the welders pad (like a thick piece of felt) and installed it. They are pretty cheap and you can get them at Home Depot. Those paper caps in the radiola power supply are really good quality and unless you play the radio 10 hours a day daily, probably never need rebuilding. I added a fuse in mine, however, just in case.
Audiokarma