Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would at least replace the filter capacitors in the high voltage section; it probably wouldn't take much of an overload to fry the unobtainium high voltage transformer. What an outstanding find!

John, are you a PARS member? If not, we would love to have you aboard.

Last edited by Tim Tress; 11-29-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Missing word - typo.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Either you replace all the paper and electrolytic caps and get the set working, or you leave it as it is. There isn't any middle ground. Caps that old will be bad, and there are other irreplaceable parts, such as the horizontal and vertical output transformers, that could be destroyed by powering up the set without recapping.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Looking For Time

It's getting dressed up for Christmas....

[/url]
Old 11-29-2018, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some History

John,
I know you haven't been able to get the store owners grandson to give you a written history yet, but could you give us a "Mini Series" history? Like perhaps an " as you know" history? Things like what kind of department store did it come from and how long had they been closed and perhaps the size of the town it was located in. Also, things like how you heard of it and how you acquired it and perhaps some tidbits exchanged at the time when you picked it up, etc., etc. Congratulations on finding this set, Wow so amazing !
Thanks John, it would be appreciated. My curiosity is killing me ! ! ! Hehehehehe.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Old 11-29-2018, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

It deserves to live again! It's screaming to play, I can here it! LOL
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM
TV DXer...

Commercial...

Here's a 7 minute ad for one or one that looks similar.

https://archive.org/details/Magicint1955

Click "Show All" to download...
Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have earlier advocated caution when digging in to restore equipment. I have been at it 50 years and my adage is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have left resistors which have drifted so long as they do not affect performance. Even then, I replace only with period components. I go to the trouble of restuffing capacitors but I will leave leaky paper capacitors if the parallel bridged resistance is less than on tenth the leak. In any case it should not affect performance and keeping it maintains originality.

I observe the same philosophy with electrolytic capacitors. I would have first tested and reformed the electrolytics in the TK12 before applying power. I would reject an electrolytic if it shows more than 1ma at full rated voltage. If the capacitor fails, I carefully cut open the can and insert new capacitors and refit such that the repair is almost impossible to see.

As Phil said, the equipment is only original once. I would refrain from using it unless it has had a thorough vetting. I feel the leaky paper capacitors are the biggest threat followed by the electrolytics. Please take time and be patient when tackling this machine.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations. I'm sure this kind of thing doesn't happen that often anymore. Kind of like those barn find muscle cars.