Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I checked the schematic and the power transformer looks close!
The B+ might be a little high!
Tag the leads when disconnecting from the original chassis, as the Philco colors might be different.
I'm also concerned about the fact that the Philco uses the old style tubes vs. the GE using the Octal style tubes, would that make a difference?
Old 08-14-2021, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I'm also concerned about the fact that the Philco uses the old style tubes vs. the GE using the Octal style tubes, would that make a difference?
The tubes are identical, except the base. Same heater current and voltage.
Philco didn't switch to octal base tubes until the '37 model year.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The tubes are identical, except the base. Same heater current and voltage.
Philco didn't switch to octal base tubes until the '37 model year.
OK, so then the power transformer should be able to swap out for each other, the only other issue I could see being a problem is the mounting screw hole spacing for the power transformer from the Philco radio vs. the the GE's original Power Transformer.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
OK, so then the power transformer should be able to swap out for each other, the only other issue I could see being a problem is the mounting screw hole spacing for the power transformer from the Philco radio vs. the the GE's original Power Transformer.
You might have to drill different holes to match the footprint of the replacement transformer. The original transformer is mounted a little different, with long through bolts, so it sits above the chassis.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
You might have to drill different holes to match the footprint of the replacement transformer. The original transformer is mounted a little different, with long through bolts, so it sits above the chassis.
Well a little update, apparently the power transformer wasn't the problem, it was the power switch on the volume control I subbed in, apparently the power switch was bad...? because I put the original volume control and power switch back into the radio last night and the radio popped right on as soon as I powered it on... Weird, I didn't know those power switches could go bad like that.

Unfortunately that persistant and untraceable hum is still there and I still cannot figure out where its coming from.
Audiokarma
Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well for sure something's not right with this radio because the back of the radio says it's rated for 65 watts at 120 and the radio as it sits with its incessant 60 Hz hum is only 43 Watts so something's not right, either one of my filter caps failed or there's a bad tube or something else odd is going on with this radio.

I've tested all of the tubes in this radio and the 6K7 tube and the 6F6 tube both tested as having a H-K Short in it so I subbed them out with known good tubes and the hum is still there and the radio pulled the same amount of wattage, So I'm not sure what's going on with this mystery of a radio.

I'm about tempted to just salvage the bulb and tubes and capacitors out of the radio and scrap it out.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well for sure something's not right with this radio because the back of the radio says it's rated for 65 watts at 120 and the radio as it sits with its incessant 60 Hz hum is only 43 Watts so something's not right, either one of my filter caps failed or there's a bad tube or something else odd is going on with this radio.

I've tested all of the tubes in this radio and the 6K7 tube and the 6F6 tube both tested as having a H-K Short in it so I subbed them out with known good tubes and the hum is still there and the radio pulled the same amount of wattage, So I'm not sure what's going on with this mystery of a radio.

I'm about tempted to just salvage the bulb and tubes and capacitors out of the radio and scrap it out.
It depends what condition the cabinet is in! If the cabinet is in good condition, it's worth trouble-shooting a little further!
Remove all the tubes but the 6F6 and the rectifier and see if it still hums, proving it's a power supply issue. If so, bridge the electrolytics and see if it clears the hum. The power supply is a rather simple supply using a grounded B minus.