Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

A few years ago, just after digital happened in TV, I was allowed to roam through the storage rooms of a large TV station. There were tons of old monitors, VTR's, rack mounted tube equipment, etc. there.

There were 3 TM-21's there. I was arranging to get one of them, and the chief engineer of the station told me he had promised them to someone else. So, I didn't get one.

The next time I was there, the entire room was empty. All I got was a beautiful old RCA oscilliscope.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 PM
M is for Memory

Did the service info ever get scanned?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Apologies, between defending the country 14 hours a day and raising a family the time to sit and scan it escaped me. Not gonna happen this weekend either, due to sponsoring the kids Christmas party at the hangar. I’ll get to it eventually, prob just shoot it out to Steve so the museum can host it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can tell you what happened to all that obsolete equipment. It went to the dump.
What happens is that somebody higher than the CE decides they need the space (for a new sales office) and they pitch it.
What I've noticed is that TV stations hang on to that equipment because its on the inventory. When I was in TV, I told the management that they should sell it while there is still a market for the equipment. Otherwise it will become so obsolete that NOBODY wants it.
It was well known that the station was cash strapped and I was able to sell some of the equipment to employees (production types) at a fair market price for the station.
I remember the smile on the girl in accounts receivable's face when I brought up a purchaser with a check in his hand and a bill of sale for her to sign.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a beautiful TM21 that was on the floor palleted and covered that was in my fire almost 3 years ago. The last time I saw it was only smoked up a little. The fire department went in with a bobcat with claw (without my knowledge) and absolutely destroyed it like a gov't demil with half of the building contents. I only found 2 small pieces of it in the pile they put out in the parking lot. I did find the front door with small damage on it that can be fixed back. I'm still sick over it.

I have since found another replacement with a roll around cart that needs shopping out. The damper tube gets very hot. It will be a nice sidekick along side of my TK41.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Hello All,
Our museum VRCMCT has generously been given two TM-21 monitors. They were used in Hartford CT at channel 3 for many years, and need total restoration (which may or may not happen to both; one, for sure). I took a look inside the top, and saw that all tubes except for the CRT are missing, so a tube hunt in our tube room is needed. Then, there all the electrolytics! Gonna have some fun ! Going to return to check the CRTs later this week, and will proceed from there. Any encouragement will be VERY welcome!
Please see attached pics
Kevin G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TM-21_21FB (Small).jpg (35.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg TM-21_21FJ (Small).jpg (36.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg67 View Post
Hello All,
Our museum VRCMCT has generously been given two TM-21 monitors. They were used in Hartford CT at channel 3 for many years, and need total restoration (which may or may not happen to both; one, for sure). I took a look inside the top, and saw that all tubes except for the CRT are missing, so a tube hunt in our tube room is needed. Then, there all the electrolytics! Gonna have some fun ! Going to return to check the CRTs later this week, and will proceed from there. Any encouragement will be VERY welcome!
Please see attached pics
Kevin G.
Awesome donations those are.

They definitely deserve a resto. If your museum ever decides that it only needs one I'd be glad to trade a good chunk of change to have the spare in my collection.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Makes me smile when I see some significant items from the past being saved. I love the graphics on the cabinets. Maybe it could be some kind of team effort and restore them both.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg67 View Post
Hello All,
Please see attached pics
Kevin G.
2/3/18:
Checked emission of the two CRTs today. The 21FB has very good emission from all three guns. It had been replaced, but couldn't see any date code yet. The 21FJ checked "dead" , but I'll return next week with a different CRT tester that has a more "gentle" restoration procedure. Didn't use the "brute force" method of my older B&K. I'll also start pulling tubes from storage to use on the FB monitor. More to come!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

2/6/18
Began re-populating the four chassis with tubes today. Still need a few more, but most are in place. Found a 20 amp variac in the back room, so will use that to slowly power up for the "smoke test". That probably won't happen for about two more weeks. Next task is cleaning and checking wiring for no cracks or insulation trouble. It looks clean, except for the time-accumulated dirt and dust.
More pics attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180206_143844 (Small).jpg (58.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20180206_143850 (Small).jpg (80.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20180206_143829 (Small).jpg (82.9 KB, 32 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-06-2018, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rack mounted TM-21's in our KTLA-TV remote bus mid 60's. The Crown Coaches were purchased in 1964 from the defunct Red Skelton Red-EO-Vision Videotape production co.

-Steve D,

Last edited by Steve D.; 07-28-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did the TM21 manual get scanned? I didn't see one at the ETF.

IF anyone wants to sell a TM21 ... I'm looking for one, top priority,
even higher than a 21CT55.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Did the TM21 manual get scanned? I didn't see one at the ETF.

IF anyone wants to sell a TM21 ... I'm looking for one, top priority,
even higher than a 21CT55.
I scanned one that Dave Abramson lent me... which reminds me, it's sitting on my desk at work. I'll get her uploaded here soon and pass a copy along to Steve. I need to mail that back to him ASAP. I purchased Nick William's TM-21. Maybe someone else will come forward with one to sell...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Resident Lunatic

There was one at the ETF the year that Ed Reitan passed on. 2016 maybe? It sold for only $500 IIRC. Do you care if it has a 21AXP22, 21CYP22, or 21FJP22? Obviously the 21AXP22 would be preferable, but you just aren't going to find one. If a 21FBP22 would be acceptable I'm sure you could find one rather quickly.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would actually prefer one of the all-glass CRTs.
Audiokarma