Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

When I was 20 years old and got interested in learning to drive, a friend's father sold me their 1976 Honda Civic station wagon (also called an estate car outside of the USA?) that needed engine repair. US$500 for the car, $433 for the engine repair, and $550 or so for the high-end Clarion digital auto-reverse Dolby AM/FM/cassette stereo system I put in it, with separate amplifier, graphic equalizer, and Sony XS-211S speakers (among the few good ones that would fit in shallow 1970s Japanese car doors).

I am 6 feet 4 inches tall (193 cm), so I did not really "get in" that car, it was more like I "put it on", ha ha.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM
creepingnet

Long story as short as I can make it. I was barred by family from learning to drive until I was 18 and it became a necessity for various reasons, one of which left me for a week on my own with both mom's brand new 02' Sport Trac and the 1993 Ford Explorer Sport she bought brand new in 93' that has a 5-speed.

I was told that I had to learn to drive the Explorer Sport that week or lose it IIRC, so I found an kinda-sorta' abandoned road near my house, and spent 30-60 minutes of every day of that week learning to drive stick in that truck till I had it down well enough to get it gas as it was running low by Friday. It was transferred fully into my name and my own insurance account not long after.

Funny part is I'm still daily driving that thing at 410K now and the reason is I never saw a reason to replace it. It's been as reliable as a Toyota or a Honda, it runs and drives like new on the original engine and transmission, and it looks incredible for being almost 30 years old - the paint still has a showroom gloss with only some nicks here and there. It's also very easy and cheap to fix and maintain. I really won the lottery with this vehicle.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was working in the summer of 1967 as a laborer for a construction company with my senior year of HS to come. My truck driver partner, Jimmy, was a new dad and needed some cash. He offered me his 1955 Cadillac deVille for $35. Drove it through HS until it threw a rod and that was that. I'm on Cadillac # eleven now. '59/'60/2x2000 in the driveway right now.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 455. A family hand-me-down as my dad bought a new Ford Bronco II and mom had a 1981 Olds 88 with the 5.7Dx... gas wasn't exactly cheap for a 16 y/o in the mid-80s and the 455 had an appetite but I managed. Now it's a 2005 Impala LS with the 3800 that gets triple the mpgs and more power (not counting torque) but I sure do miss the Cutlass and the 4bbl sounds!