Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Procrastination Expert

How cheap have I become? Re: cost of vacuums

I was doing some cleaning earlier with my Electrolux Automatic E vacuum, and that got me thinking... I wonder how much this thing cost when it was new in 1958? I did a bit of looking, they were just under $120... or almost $1,000 today!

I picked this unit up at a salvation army for free because the switch was popped out of place. They charged me $2 for the hose and attachments. When I got it home I pushed the switch back into place, and it's worked flawlessly since, even the cord reel works great! I guess if you charge a grand for a vacuum you can put really good components into it, which is why the motor and full bag detector still work perfectly in this one after all these years. But if I were going out to buy a vacuum today I just couldn't see myself spending that kind of money. Have I become too cheap?

The other sweeper I use is a Riccar canister upright I found on the side of the road. Someone spent a lot of money on it in the 90s. Only things wrong with it? The headlight was burnt out, and the circuit breaker on the bottom was tripped. There's a vacuum shop in Ann Arbor which is an authorized Riccar and Electrolux dealer, they have quality bags for both of vacuums... and they're cheap! Ones for something like my parent's 2002 vintage hoover cost almost 3x, but they aren't 3x as big!

-Jason
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Administrator

No, I don't think so at all. Vacuuming is a passion of mine .

Girlfriend has one of those plastic fantastic bagless vacs that you can see all your dirt whizzing around in through the clear window. Used it once, HATE it. I need something real. I have a Kirby G6 that was given to me by a friend a couple years ago. She was gonna throw it out because the thing was clogged solid with rabbit and dog fur.

Now, if you ever wanna undertake a really disgusting enterprise, get a vacuum from someone that does animal rescue ! But it was well worth the effort, and now I have an expensive machine that is a joy to use

I've restored more than my fair share of Kirbys, but for plain ole reliability and good in the fun-to-use category, I pick Hoover uprights from the 40s-60s. I used to have an Electrolux anniversary model (gold in color) a dog's age ago, but never really took a liking to the upright-style beater bar head connected to the tank. Just seemed bulky to use.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Procrastination Expert

Don't give me permission to start hoard... err, collecting another type of item I've got enough junk around the house as is

I've never liked bag less vacuums. It's kind of nice with a shop vac because you can just suck up everything, then pick the bolts out of the tub when you're done, but for inside I want the dirt captured, not in something I have to empty and have it go everywhere.

-J
Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Had a buddy about 40 miles east of me that was a vacuum collector. He had over 400 of them in a big barn. Any time I came across something old and weird in the vacuum department, I'd buy it for him. God, I musta got him at least a hundred.....

The problem with most canister vacs is that they're clunky to maneuver around with, which is why the Kirby is nice with the hose attachment. The Kirby Zip Brush is about the most awesome invention ever, kind of a rotating Norelco head like brush that's driven by suction. Cleans amazingly well.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Modern vacuum cleaners are crap!
I have an Electrolux model G from 1961 and the thing works perfectly to this day and the only thing I have ever serviced is the power nozzle motor.

Back in the "old days" things were not only designed better,but they were built to last.

Today you just go to wal mart and buy a plastic toy that sounds like a 747 taking off while in use and 4 months later it's left in an alley behind taco bell next to the dumpster.

This whole "bagless" craze is stupid too,ask any vacuum cleaner repairman how often Dysons come in and what the repair costs are.

Somewhere I saw a magazine article that showed Electrolux dumping old trade in 'luxes into the river so they wouldn't be out there competing with newer models.

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 04-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
complete novice

Around seven years ago i attended a church bazarr?(im prolly not spelling that right) since one of the gals who works there knows me and said they had "one of those things that had two things that spun and played music".. Well i went there and bought that roberts reel to reel player for 5 bucks and while i was there took the huge glass battery and 1957 kirby vacuum and four boxes of attachments that theyd already dumpstered.

Ive been using her ever since. Does a decent job, not the best or the worst ive ever seen. But i was amazed how easy it was to still find parts for these. Mind you, ive only used one attachment after all this time and the four boxes of attachments just take up closet space, but its nice to have them around.

It does show me that america used to build things to truly last a lifetime. This more than likely did last someones lifetime and now shes on round 2 with me.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I'm convinced that hundreds of years from now, when insects rule the Earth after the apocalypse, that they'll be using Kirby vacuums to clean their carpets, provided that they grow the proper opposable thumbs
Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm convinced that hundreds of years from now, when insects rule the Earth after the apocalypse, that they'll be using Kirby vacuums to clean their carpets, provided that they grow the proper opposable thumbs
Or if buffalo take over the earth they'll be using Bisons!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay, my Kirby isn't "that old" but it was purchased new in 85 and it is one of the Heritage II series. My thoughts were that this will be the last vacuum cleaner I'll ever have to buy. Built like a tank, easy to service and good parts support. Had to have the Zip Brush too..
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Y'know, I never grew fond of the Heritage series. Once you experience the Tech Drive automatic transmission in the G series, you'll see why. Granted, I'm sure it's a healthy arm workout using it though

Oldest one I had was a 508, which would have been a 1947 model....or is that 1949. It's one year up or down, I just can't recall which.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't consider myself a vacuum cleaner collector, but some would probably put me in that category. Right now I have an upright Kenmore from the 30s that a friend gave me (she'd get mad if I got rid of that one), a 30s Hoover upright that I need to sell (runs fine, I misplaced a part), an Electrolux XXX that I use as a shop vac, a 50s GE canister on an upright cart-neat piece, a junky 60s Sears that I keep in the basement for cleaning the furnace, and a line of old hand vacs from Hoover, GE, Westinghouse, Royal.

Can anybody use some NOS bags for a Singer or Westinghouse canister? I think I still have both kinds. Hate to toss them.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

I found a Kirby G3 (with the automatic transmission) sitting on the street with all of its attachment in a box. I stopped to have a look. The people in the home behind the boxes were watching me, and waved back when I waved at them. I loaded it up and hauled it home. THEN I found that the owner had used it without a bag, and cleaned up a dog kennel before they put it on the street.

I washed the bag thoroughly, and cleaned the interior parts, and the impeller, which was broken, was replaced with new.

It runs like a dream, and my carpets are standing up like they have never stood before. I LOVE that transmission action.

Bruce
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Did you get the carpet fluffer attachment too? That thing is amazing
Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm cheap when it comes to vacuums, too; mainly because I know the new "junque" out there today won't last. Our house vacuum is a Hoover, probably from the 80's, lots of plastic parts, but better than the new stuff. I keep it going. Replaced the fan twice (cracked from picking up a hard object.) Replaced the beater brush bearings. The pedal mechanism that keeps it standing upright when not in use broke, part N/A, made one from sheet metal. The motor brushes are fine. It gets used every day of the year and keeps on Hoovering.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since we're talking vacuums, I need a new motor for my harvest-gold Eureka 3210 canister vac. It's in the "500" series and was a low-end model from 1981. I would rather fix this one than buy a new one. Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a new motor for her?
Audiokarma