Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Workin' Late Again

Don,

Thanks for the clarification. Somehow when I read "and so on", I jumped directly to the conclusion that there was some ratio relationship. I guess this is why I never became an electrical engineer.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Well Fiddle-Dee-Dee as Scarlet would say.

Took this to work today to mess with it at lunch, don't know how I missed it before but the range selector switch is trashed.

A battery leaked on it at some point in the past and ate up the plastic on one of the wafers.

It could be repaired if I could find another wafer with the same dimensions, the inner rotating part is OK, just the contacts are bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wafer1.jpg (26.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg wafer2.jpg (35.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's ugly! But all is not lost if you can find an appropriate switch.

On the other hand, this is a Radio Schlock item and even in pristine condition wouldn't be a terribly good unit. It's not worth the effort, in my opinion. Save it for parts.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
I like....big sparks!!

You could probably "reverse-engineer" some contacts from another wafer switch to replace the bad ones there. It'd be putzy...but it would probably work.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Think of all the hours of labor involved, and compare it to the use such an instrument would be getting. One must decide that the project is where the fun is, not the utility of having a VTVM. You can get VTVMs for a few bucks, and they most likely will work.
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hate to give up on it but don't want to spend a lot of time on it either, I do have other meters but wanted a VTVM for those situations that demand one.

I'm probably better off finding an old Simpson.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I do have an old Military VTVM that still works, it's a TS-505D/U I think, built like a Tank!

http://siegdugas.net/ham_radio/ts505du.html
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Triplett VOM in a lovely sturdy steel case with cover and test leads and manual. It appears to have been manufactured around WW II era.

It works but has problems. If anyone is interested I'd like to see it find a good home. It's one of those that wasn't top of the line at the time but has a nice assortment of ranges. Not very sensitive though.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

That same VTVM was also sold as the Olson TE-208 and probably others. The Olson manual might be easier to find. Radio Shack told me this week that they've given up providing manuals for their old stuff.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great VTVM

Hi Eric,
I got that VTVM from my mom in the very late 60's when I just got into electronics. (arrg, that was a while ago) and still have it. I have seen (and worked on) just as good VTVM's in the past, some a bit smaller, but it has a real nice large display and I always loved it. I think RCA has an old pro version as well that has a big meter. This was when shack did great stuff for us hobbyists. Enclosed is the schematic in case you need it (just scanned it in today!). The probe just had a 1 meg resistor inline on the probe handle. I rebuilt mine with a nice BNC as many here have done it seems.

Why?? lost the old one as well....

Go figure I still have the original other two. But better in the long run.. it was easy to modify.

Sorry you had a crack on the switch tho. I would try a find a dead one somehow.. ya cant beat that high impedance even with new DVM's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VTVM-16.jpg (75.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Saturn5tony; 04-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.