Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Capacitor Checker

I'm thinking of getting a vintage capacitor checker, and not sure what to get.. I'm leaning more towards an Eico 950B, but I notice that checker only goes up to 500v... I'll be checking caps that are up into the 600v range and maybe slightly higher.. What does anyone recommend? Looking for something that tests leakage and that has a tube eye like the Eico, if there is anything better... I notice there is 950 and 950B models, virtually I don't see a difference..

Thanks..
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM
M is for Memory

Not many went over 450V, and most period caps rated for 600V will leak well below 450V if they are going south.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-12-2014, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I kinda figured.. Just wasn't sure.. I think I'll invest an a Eico...
Old 12-12-2014, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm partial to the Sencore units. They are available on eBay from time to time for reasonable money. They also do inductors, yokes-flybacks etc. My 2˘.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

The sencore LC53 models i see on eBay are very expensive..
Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Heathkit Model C-3 condenser tester coming next week.
I am told they are pretty good and they are very reasonably priced

I
Old 12-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Looking For Time

For what it's worth, I use the Heathkit IT-28 and have had great luck with it.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:22 PM
The glass is -3dB.

I'll muddy the waters here a bit by adding another model to the contenders:

Solar CB-1-60

I'm quite satisfied with mine.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just got the Eico model 950 on eBay.. This one doesn't have a "B" at the end of the model number, but looks exactly the same as those models.. I don't think it's an "A" model as those look different.. I need to know what it exactly it is so I get the right manual.. All manuals I see on eBay are for 950A or 950B..

Here's eBay link to the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-EICO-95...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
The glass is -3dB.

There's probably a way to figure it out by the serial number.
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm pretty sure they are "B" models.. They just didn't put the "B" on some of them... Here's one that sold on eBay with it's Manual.. The Tester Shows a plain model 950, but instructions show 950B..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EICO-Model-9...p2047675.l2557
Old 12-15-2014, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you are looking for a set of spare tubes Surplus Sales of Nebraska will have them.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the Heathkit Model C-3. What an absolutely sweet instrument. Testing new high grade film caps and the C-3 is spot on. Testing some of the cap's I removed from a Zenith T-O L600 I have and they not only bad, but "holy cow" bad. Tried the resistor check function and it too was spot on. It will not replace the Simpson, or especially the Extech but it works as designed.

It is a tradition that Ham Radio Operators do not read operator's manuals and if we do we don't let on we are doing it; a matter of pride. The C-3 is in this category is so intuitive that a "Caveman could do it"

One things that has always helped me in reading analog dials is the fact I learned how to use slide-rules back in the early 1970's just before the HP-35 calculator forever blotted them off the face of the planet in 1972. You learned the art of "reading between the lines" yes this is where the term came from. When you got the cursor positioned you looked at the hairline and learned to estimate the numbers between the lines. You got pretty good at taking it out to perhaps 3 digits after the decimal point. This is why the HP-35 calculator nuked the slide rule, and by nuked I mean they vanished it seemed like over night. No consulting log scales, square roots instantly, but the thing that had us actually mumbling was; 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits, 9 significant digits I am not kidding we would key numbers in and there was 9 significant digits after the decimal point, we where gobsmacked. After that it was a badge of cool to have an HP-35 in a leather case on your belt. Did I mention RPN logic, Reverse Polish Notation, and the famous "enter" key.

For those of you who have never even seen a slide rule here is a website that will interest you. It will teach you how to use one and even has a virtual slide rule to play with. If you did indeed use them this is a trip down memory lane.
http://sliderulemuseum.com/SR_Course.htm

Last edited by transmaster; 12-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

The difference between the 950A and the 950B was the "A" used a neon lamp for indicating leakage.

Dave

Last edited by easyrider8; 01-05-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have been using my Heathkit Model C-3 condenser tester. What a fantastic instrument. Being able to actually test a capacitor with voltages of up to 450 volts is really nice it gives you confidence that the test will be accurate. It is already paying off. My Zenith Royal G503 Tip Top has a load of bad paper cap's, they are so bad it is a wonder the radio works as well as it does. The Magic Eye tube is very nice.
Audiokarma