Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:25 PM
I love old stuff

Let us not forget that back in the days it was easier to display moving images from an 16 m.m. film than from an electronic screen. Well, you could do videotaping and retroprojection, but for 30-40 shows around different areas it was easier to move around with an portable 16 m.m. movie projector. You could show it to people that didn't had a colour tv, you could show them to business.
Plus, films (even 16 m.m.) could offer a better images then a television camera and videotape back then. From a 16 m.m. you could get 720p... back then 720p was a far away dream on television.

But I wonder about the colours. They don't look so vivid. Or the film deteriorated due to it's age?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:04 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

[QUOTE=zeno;3200410]Maybe intermission at the passion pit ? Also they had a UHF in
Chicago so I bet $100 it played there.

73 Zeno

Who do you mean by "they?" As far as I know Zenith never had a UHF station.

If you mean the fairly early UHF station WFLD in Chicago, it had a well-liked program consisting of industrial films (Films With a Mind of Their Own), hosted by the Tribune theater/movie critic Richard Christiansen, and it's possible it was shown there. The films I recall were generally more informative about manufacturing while touting the company along the way.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking about there FM sry. I have seen a programing guide
for a Chicago UHF that had Zenith all over it. Maybe Doug
will pipe in, havnt heard from for a while & clarify things.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 PM
M is for Memory

[QUOTE=old_tv_nut;3200447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Maybe intermission at the passion pit ? Also they had a UHF in
Chicago so I bet $100 it played there.

73 Zeno

Who do you mean by "they?" As far as I know Zenith never had a UHF station.

If you mean the fairly early UHF station WFLD in Chicago, it had a well-liked program consisting of industrial films (Films With a Mind of Their Own), hosted by the Tribune theater/movie critic Richard Christiansen, and it's possible it was shown there. The films I recall were generally more informative about manufacturing while touting the company along the way.
If you watch the Zenith film 'Fog Over Portland' on youtube they IIRC claim to be the first broadcasting UHF in Chicago, and I'm pretty sure they operated experimental UHF transmissions there in the 50's...whether that lasted into the era of color I do not know.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-10-2018, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Let us not forget that back in the days it was easier to display moving images from an 16 m.m. film than from an electronic screen. Well, you could do videotaping and retroprojection, but for 30-40 shows around different areas it was easier to move around with an portable 16 m.m. movie projector. You could show it to people that didn't had a colour tv, you could show them to business.
Plus, films (even 16 m.m.) could offer a better images then a television camera and videotape back then. From a 16 m.m. you could get 720p... back then 720p was a far away dream on television.

But I wonder about the colours. They don't look so vivid. Or the film deteriorated due to it's age?
Some colour films (eastman) fade like crazy over time, ending up with pinkish picture, with all the green and blue gone. Fuji tends to fade to purple. Others (Technicolor, post 1982 eastman, kodachrome), will look great forever. For a film collector, the film stock is really important. I personally prefer to collect black and white films, because they don't fade, and it avoids the whole discussion.
Audiokarma