Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Brass wall plate connectors

Has anyone ever seen these before? They have been kicking around in my stuff for years. I have never seen anything similar. Some chemical cleaning brassed them up but good. "A/G" is easy. "Radio" appears to be a remote speaker connection. I am not likely to be digging in to the plaster walls here to mount them.

Somewhere around here I have a 4-tube AM that also fits in a wall plate. Somewhere.

Last edited by Dave A; 08-28-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM
M is for Memory

There were various radio wall plates in the 20's-40's One I got to see connected to its original radio was a single power outlet plate with A/G terminals on it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw one of these recently in an elderly lady’s living room. It was next to the fireplace and had several coats of paint on it. Would’ve been interesting to see if the A/G terminals were still hooked up, and where those wires went.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM
The Resident Brony

Pretty damn cool. Never seen the like before. They look like they were real luxury items back in their day. Solid brass plates AND the house was wired for radio antenna? Hi tech expensive stuff.

Is the radio one a 1/4" headphone jack? If the family was listening to the radio in the living room and you were being antisocial, you could plug in your headphones in your bedroom or whatever, I'm assuming.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Pretty damn cool. Never seen the like before. They look like they were real luxury items back in their day. Solid brass plates AND the house was wired for radio antenna? Hi tech expensive stuff.

Is the radio one a 1/4" headphone jack? If the family was listening to the radio in the living room and you were being antisocial, you could plug in your headphones in your bedroom or whatever, I'm assuming.
They look British, the big jack especially. I think the original
plug of a certain Marconi 702 might have plugged into that one. Gutta-percra coax
insulation!
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post

Close, but not quite. While it is a 1/4” jack, it’s not intended for audio. The sleeve connector is grounded and the tip wired to an antenna. The radio’s antenna and ground would interface with it via a phone plug.

If you look at the back of the plate you’ll see that the tip shorts itself to the sleeve when there’s no plug inserted. No doubt this was for protection of the house against lightning strikes.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
They look British
Eh.... they look like standard North American wall plates. Like the distance between the mounting screws, etc, etc.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back from med stuff. Both connection plates are insulated from the frame. No ground to the house. They are mounted insulating discs. The "Radio" is a TS 1/4" standard connector.

I can see this radio panel as a series connector going from the radio speaker output from room to room and ending at the original speaker to be interrupted at any chosen room...if you were rich enough.

Apparently my grandparents did not have the glory of these plates in their mansion. Just a Radiola IV (which I have minus a few parts). Attached is a scan of a newspaper article my brother found in the Rockford archives (low res). Barney Thompson, the writer was a friend of the family. And when I was delivering the same paper on my paper route Barney was still writing his column 40 years later. I am officially old.

Last edited by Dave A; 08-28-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect that the 1/4" phone plug version is just another version for an antenna/ground outlet, where the other one pictured takes pin plugs.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Motorola Minion

Dave - Great story, That infernal "A" battery dilemma - A is for Auto and Attached in your G-pops case. A 6-volt auto battery probably was a bit higher, would have required that Radiola IV to have its rheostats cranked back..

Here is another radio antenna outlet circa mid-30's https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-e...outlet-is-this

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-01-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Audiokarma