Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

1980 RCA Playmate 5 model AER057S issue

I'm not sure if this topic belongs here or in the Transistor Portable Televisions section, so if it belongs there, then go ahead and move it there.

I have an old RCA Playmate 5 combination 5" black and white table TV with AM/FM & NOAA weather band clock radio, model AER 057 S, serial number 038245163, manufactured September 1980, which uses the RCA KCS 207 series chassis, with an unusual problem. It will occasionally just turn on at random times with the power switch in the off position, and just start playing the radio or the TV, depending on which position I have the middle switch in. It's really annoying, and sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night. I've never had any other machine do this, so it's got me stumped.

If any one on here is familiar with this particular kind of TV/radio, or has had the same experience, then I would really appreciate some suggestions as to its cause, and how I could go about repairing it. I'm a novice when it comes to repairing electronics, so it would really help.

Quick history: This TV was a Craigslist find back on Friday, 24 April, 2015. I went to a gentleman's house to buy it, and it worked fine back then. I have used it sporadically over the years, and it only just started malfunctioning like this just a few months ago. It's in really good condition, albeit with some cosmetic imperfections. I just found the service manual for this exact model for sale on E Bay, so I'm thinking of buying it, then taking it apart, and trying to fix it up.

Thank you.

Last edited by B 4204 T3; 08-12-2023 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 08-11-2023, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does it have weather alert ? Its a tone that turns on the WX if
there is a tornado warning etc. May be that if it has it.
Also try a little contact cleaner in the switches. DONT get it on the dial cords.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-12-2023, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Photographs & tune-up questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Does it have weather alert ? Its a tone that turns on the WX if
there is a tornado warning etc. May be that if it has it.
Also try a little contact cleaner in the switches. DONT get it on the dial cords.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Thank you for the quick reply & the advice. I really appreciate it.

No, I don't think the radio has a weather alert, at least that I know of. All it has is a three-position switch on the front for WX, off, and on. It also has a switch with three positions on the right side of the TV with A, B, and C for WX stations. I live in San Diego, California, where there are no tornadoes, and the NOAA station that I can pick up is KEC62, located at 162.400 MHz. I can pick it up in the C position, but only static in the A or B positions.

I included some pictures of the TV that I just took. The frame which goes around the screen, the strap for carrying it, and the black label on the bottom which reads "Made in Taiwan, R.O.C., by RCA Taiwan Ltd. A Subsidiary Of RCA Corporation" are all missing. I also don't have its owner's manual. Hopefully, I can eventually find those missing parts to put on it. I also forgot to mention that this TV can operate on standard household electricity, nine size "D" batteries, or a plug for an electrical socket in a car. I've only ever used the regular 120-volt AC household current.

Before I start working on this TV, I still have a few more questions, and I want to do it correctly:

1. I have a can of a cleaning substance called Deoxit D5, which I have used for a few other electronics repair projects. Is this the correct cleaner to use?

2. Which knobs or switches should I spray, and how much of it should I spray?

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2551.jpg (62.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2553.jpg (55.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2554.jpg (70.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.jpg (85.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2556.jpg (65.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Deoxit is popular here, will be fine.
You want to clean the slide switches. The dial cord is near there so
just use a few drops & work the switches back & fourth. A broken
dial cord is one of the hardest things to fix. Takes a special talent that
I dont have after 40 + yrs !!

NOAA is up to 6 or 7 freqs now. They specialize. In S. N.H. our local one
ours is basic. Others give boating info for the ocean. Another covers the lakes
region. Mt. Washington gives valley & alpine zone weather.
https://www.mountwashington.org/

good luck
Zeno