Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

new power transformer for a Phlco 42-350

I found a perfect replacement transformer for a philco radio 42-350.

info:

search "PT275.2 POWER TRANSFORMER TUBE AUDIO 275-0-275 x100mA"

on fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

company info:

But the MusicalPowerSupplies site will get you the info you need. I've done a few Radio parts. I can custom wind smaller PT's and OT's if there's something that needs resurrecting.MattRegards,

Matt Sespaniak
Musical Power Supplies, Inc
MusicalPowerSupplies

Replacement part seems high quality at a good price. The original xfrmr is small and just enough to power up unit, can't handle short failures. I don't see many of these sets surviving and probaly due to minimal size power transformer. New unit is heavier duty more so than puny OEM part, this IS the only part seen for sale with a tap for filaments. Tap for biasing originally?

Tapped filaments go to XXFM tube, NOT ON schematic, read Rider's -- philco section, 14-141-- and you'll see production changes for code 121. Everything is mentioned in changes, even the new power transformer, WHICH IS Philco part # 32-8220 starting w/ prod. run 2. Schematic shows ONLY one filament secondary winding for ALL tubes, NOT the other for XXFM tube. I was able to tear cover off bad part and realize leads going to XXFM center tapped for biasing. Read somewhere OEM part only rated for 50 ma, HV winding, mentions extra filament connections.

I seen that code on philco for years and was wondered if it meant prod. changes. I'm excited about getting new part and willing to deal w/ mounting hassles as new part will be better quality than original.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

please call Heyboer Transformers @616-842-5030,..they're building me one for a Philco 116-122 console as we speak...give the size of it and electrical requirements..they'll get one right out to ya..Jody
Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

new xfrner works great!

Finally replaced bad locktal tubes, These crack easily in cold storage, I started blog for that alone. The new transformer makes the set work awesome. The tuning has changed a little, I lost a modern band on FM because of this. THE FM picks up two police band stations since FM is modified w/ converter. Bass and volume are much greater since current better supplied from new stronger part . Finally did push button labels with call letters as use this function. Sound quality IS amazing, you guys need to get one of these sets,.An early and true FM set!
The second pushbutton ACTUALLY had that button labeled for television by Philco, probaly to be used in conjuction w/ a Philco prewar vision only TV set!

here's pic of set:

knobs are not original but are appropiated for set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S3010545.jpg (58.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by vintagecollect; 03-16-2013 at 01:10 AM.