Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Pioneer Stereo Fan Club

Philco 87 dial cable

Been doing some searching and can't find an answer so here goes...

Picked up an 87 lowboy that is pretty much original configuration with all cunningham tubes. The dial cables are still intact but are off of the spindles. I can't figure how to rewind the back one without taking the tuner apart. To make matters worse the cables have the twists in them which make it really hard to work with - and - turning the shaft spins both. Big question: Will I need to disassemble this to get it restrung?

Gratuitous pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, no disassembly. There should be a screw and saddle on the tuning wheel that tightens the drive cord when it's back on correctly. The cord comes comes off of one side of the tuning wheel in the front, and the other side on the rear. Cord should have loops on the ends, which go over the pins securing the spiral pulleys. It's easiest to wind up the cord on the rear pulley first, then work your way towards the front.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Pioneer Stereo Fan Club

Thanks. Disassembly was my last resort. I saw where the cable looped on the pin. I'll just have to figure out how to get to the back pulley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Pioneer Stereo Fan Club

Well, restoration is well underway. I've decided to let the dial cable wait for last. The capacitor block has been rebuilt and I've repaired some rodent damage. I also noticed that a wire on the coil on the 27 tube was sticking up. I removed the coil from the tube so I could work on it but soon found the wire was extremely brittle and broke with much movement. I did manage to get both ends re-soldered. The top end crumbled apart as I was working on the bottom side. However, I still don't have continuity. I suspect the wire is still separated somewhere. Has anyone ever rewrapped one of these with new wire? There's not that many rounds and it's single layer.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 AM
M is for Memory

I've got an identical looking 95 console (chassis seems different). Previous owner restored mine so I've never been in it.

As for rewinding: how similar are those coils to the single layer ant/osc coils in the Philco 60 and 80 series chassis? I've successfully fixed opens and or rewound both those coils in several chassis. Phono pickup wire from Radio Shack worked well for both operations; bridging opens in original windings and replacing entire windings. If you plan to replace a winding, carefully count the turns before removing it and use the same turns count on the replacement.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma