Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2002, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again

Rob,
Thanks again for being the conduit that allows me to share these pictures with others. The digital photos of my CT-100 were taken by Jon Lopez in Aug.2002. The Anchor person is off a CNN broadcast.The color bars are from the internet. The DuMont test pattern is off an internet site devoted to vintage test patterns. Dumont would broadcast experimental color slide pictures over both their regular New York VHF channel 5 as well as a UHF channel during normal off air hours in 1953 and early 1954. To the best of my knowledge DuMont never broadcast any commercial color telecasts.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found at the side of the road

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA clones

I believe RCA sold licenses for the use of its design to avoid accusations of having a monopoly on the technology. At least this is what I've read about RCA clones from the 1940's sets by Crosley, Fada and others (with chassis identical to late-production 8TS30's) on up to the Philco and Sylvania 21" color sets. I've long suspected that RCA might have sold the PC boards (or licensed templates) for the color sets. All the circuit boards look alike, but the chassis of the clone sets don't always look like an RCA chassis. Weren't the HV cages always at least slightly different on the RCA clone chassis?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA clones

Old 10-23-2002, 12:46 AM
Banned

andy,

That is a really nice score! I delaminated one of these badly cataracted CRT's last summer in my RCA, CTC-20 successfully so it can be done. Just be careful and wear eye and body protection. Your's looks great emission wise.

I have a 1966 Philco and the chassis in it has boards that resemble RCA but the main board has a quadrupule diode tube on it that I've never seen on an RCA color set. Here's a picture of my Philco chassis. I don't have the model number handy. Sorry. Here it is with the back off. I got a little over zealous with the compressed air when I was cleaning it out and accidentally damaged the tube layout sticker. This one has the 21FBP22 so no chance of cataracts. The CRT is like new.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 10-23-2002 at 12:51 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA clones

Hi Andy,
I agree with the others. RCA had several ways of making money off other manufactuers of tv receivers. They would supply under license certain componets that other companies would intergrate into their own designs on their own assembly lines. Or they might build for other companies on the RCA assembly line chassis designed to others specs. And they would build sets that were just rebadged RCA's with different cabinets or logos. Sets sold by Sears or Wards among others fell under this catagory. This still continues to this day with analog sets, vcrs and dvd players ect.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Andy, nice score by the way!
Old 10-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Very nice find Andy, hard to believe you can still find stuff like that roadside!
Old 10-24-2002, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cataracts

Old 10-24-2002, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kudos

Andy,
In my previous post I failed to congratulate you on this great find. In regards to the picture tube problem. Wasn't this problem discussed on either this forum or the Antique Radio Forum with several solutions submitted by members? Check out some of the previous discussions.
Audiokarma
Old 10-24-2002, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Latest Restoration

After moving some things around to make room for it in the shop, I've got the CTC11 working. Here's an off-air shot from tonight.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another off-air pic from the CTC11.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:23 PM
Banned

John,

Looking good. The crt makes a good white in the first picture and the convergence from what you can tell from a thumbnail looks good too.

My CTC10/11 has only a B&W picture and I have not pulled the chassis to diagnose it further than test/replace the tubes in the chroma section that made no difference. It doen't even appear that the burst gate is opening and rocking the H. hold didn't affect it at all.

Playing with my vintage TV's has taken a back burner status with my recent push in audio R&D.

Are you planning to sell this one too?

Rob
Old 10-25-2002, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rob,

It definitely sounds like the burst gate is not triggering on your set. Check for bad caps, loose connections, etc. first, but it might be out of alignment. These sets are known for their chroma circuits being picky with their alignment, so if you follow the chroma alignment procedure in the Sams under Miscellaneous Adjustments, that's likely to solve the problem. You'll need a stable 3.58 MHz signal and a VTVM. Sweep and marker generators are also recommended to get it right on target.

This set was sold shortly after I started the restoration. When I posted the screenshots of the set during the initial testing, I was approached with a pretty good offer. I accepted and the buyer sent a deposit, so I cleared a path to the bench as soon as possible (that took some time because there were a lot of heavy items in the way that I was storing temporarily). So far, the set looks like it's coming along nicely. I've got a few finishing touches to go, then it will be ready.

John
Old 10-25-2002, 06:22 AM
Administrator

jshorva

How much does a set like that typically bring on the market?