Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Administrator

A new Emerson roundie

Just picked this sad specimen up from my ad in the local paper. $30, and I had to lug it down a long flight of fire escape-type stairs. Thank God they weren't as steep . Difficult nonetheless, when you're doing it by yourself.

Lady was about 80 years old and lived above a liquor store. Someday this might be a good looking set. She was firm on $60 until I told her I was probably the only person in Western New York to offer her anything for it. I came up $10 from my offering price.

No UHF on this model.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Cool closeup of the Emerson color logo

Old 04-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Administrator

And now, the guts.....

Set had no back on it and no tubes, pretty dingy in there. Any hints as to what chassis this might be or age on this old girl?

Old 04-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Bummer, missing the Chord and all the Tubs

Looks like the safety glass is about ready to fall off though!

Have you checked the CRT yet?
I'd guess somewhere between 61 and 63 on the year.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

chassis

sure i know. a dusty one without any tubes. i would have lugged it down stairs also. maby it will be a good fixeruper. and may the crt have good emission steve
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Admin

I would have charged her 20 bucks to carry it away !
Old 04-13-2003, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kam...
It looks like you might have a RCA CTC12 chassis there. We've seen and have had worse here on the "before" postings. I cant wait to see what it looks like after. So far i havent had any responses to my ad but i'm going to keep trying. I know theres got to be more "roundies" here in my neck of the woods. Good luck on your project!
Tony
Old 04-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Banned

Wow Tim,

You must really be desperate. Not many Emersons around though. That will be a nice looker because it has a good cabinet and front but it will take a LOT of work, plus you really don't want to run one of these color sets without a back for safety reasons.

I have identified the chassis as #120699, 722 in my RCA color TV Service Manual. That chassis was used in the RCA CTC-15 sets. I don't know what year it is. I'd guess 1963.

Have you put the CRT tester on it yet?

You did really good on the first score last week IMO.

Rob
Old 04-13-2003, 08:19 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I've used that same line myself..."I'm probably the only guy who'll give you anything for it."

Now, this set brings to mind something I've been wondering about. How many manufactuers actually made their "own" color sets? Obviously RCA, Zenith, Motorola. In other words, if I were to find one of every color set offered, in say 1964, how many unique chassis would I find?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

That's a great question.

Since all the on line "History Of Color TV" websites seem to stop at 1959 or 1960 at the latest, and pick up again with the Sony sets of the 1970's, your guess is as good as mine. The 1960-66 period in Color TV development is the most interesting to me and the least interesting to TV historians I guess.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Administrator

The CRT is made by Emerson, and tests great! And, thanks to my trusty heat gun, I successfully performed cataract removal surgery on it, and we'll start making her go again after a long sleep.......if my skills are up to it!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

Hey Tim,

Way to go on the cataract surgery! Were ya' scared? I gotta try this when I get the nerve.

You will have to put the safety glass back on to use the tube. I supported the CRT face up and using 3 popsickle stick segments inserted a half inch at 120 degree intervals to create an air space to the cover plate ran an bead of clear RTV silicone around the gap. The next day I pulled the wood spacers and filled the holes left with RTV as well. No way dust or silicone grease can creep into the gap like it could with the old rubber gasket used with the 21FBP22 setup and make a mess in the picture area. Make sure your inside glass surfaces are scrupulously cleaned.

Rob
Old 05-19-2003, 07:07 AM
AK Member

Tim,I gotta ask,you know I do! After The Cataract surgery did you
implant an I.O.L.(Inter-ocular Lens)?

I guess basically you will do that.

Alan
Old 05-19-2003, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think just about every mid-1960's color set I have or have seen uses that RCA CTC-15 chassis or a very similar replica: Hoffman, Wards Airline, G.E., Sears, Sylvania. I'm guessing that Motorola, Zenith, and Admiral used their own, different, designs. It appears that by 1966 or 67, more of the other name plates began to use different, newer designs.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Cool She be progressing nicely

Got the faceplate back on the tube today, just as Rob suggested doing, spacing it off with 3 pieces of plastic between the picture tube and the glass, maybe 1/8" thick, injecting the glass with RTV clear silicone around the glass, then after it dried, removing the plastic and putting the RTV in the remaining spaces. A note: use 3 spacers and not 4 when doing this, they move around a lot less as it seems.

So here she is as of tonight.....