Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:37 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here is a fresh picture of my roundie. When I saw this picture, I was shocked that it looked so good.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Got the Admiral home today. I cleaned it up with Gojo real good, and now it really sparkles.

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Eye candy. That's what that is. Beautiful set, glad you finally found a roundie.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 09-17-2016, 02:56 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks, man. I've been looking forward to this day since May 28th.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice looking and it cleaned up great!
Audiokarma
Old 09-17-2016, 07:45 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks!

Last edited by TUD1; 02-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:09 PM
M is for Memory

Nice!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 AM
Old TVs are better!

I love old roundie color sets, but just don't have a lot room to store store a bunch of them in my shop area. I cherish my 21CT55 (CTC2B) and my CTC9 RCAs. Yours looks quite nice, nice cabinet and nice picture. The stereo in it is a good unit. Using 6BQ5s in push-pull, as outputs produce some great sound. Does the turntable work? Usually you can also hook up a CD player, etc. (even an I phone) to it as well, using it for some great sound. You have a knack to find a great career in something along the electronics lines. The first color set I saw that was running was in Sears at a mall, and wow, I know I had to have one but my parents at that time wouldn't spend the money. I found a CTC9 (not the same one I have here) back in the early 60s, pretty beat up with a weak CRT, for $75. Went to work on it, finished the cabinet, replaced the CRT, and many other parts, and my parents and I watched it for several years, until I found a CTC38, and sold the CTC9. The lady I sold it to used it for 3 or 4 more years, until the flyback smoked out. Oh yea, did you get the flyback replaced in your Admiral, and checked the horizontal output current? It's odd that it still produced HV, and a picture but would get hot and smell and/or smoke dripping wax. I think those flybacks in the admirals were just as troublesome as those in the early RCAs. Hardly even seen a flyback go bad in a Zenith. I only remember replacing one in a Zenith. You have a great thing going fixing and collecting these older TVs, and electronics. Most younger guys like you only want the latest digital gadgets. Keep up the good work..
Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 AM
sampson159

when i saw my first zenith color set,this is what the picture looked like.beautiful set and happy for you.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks. I really appreciate it. This thing is my pride and joy of my TV collection. Right now, I'm trying to find a needle and cartridge for the record changer in it. I'm just now starting to get edgamacated on record changers, and I have no clue what needle and cartridge to get for it.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Old TVs are better!

Here are some suggestions of finding parts for record changers, needles, idlers, and cartridges.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catal...no_needles.asp

http://stores.ebay.com/CAROLES-NEEDLES Also there are many other sites as well.

Remove the cartridge and there should be number and make on it like EV, Tetrad, Ronette, etc. You can then search the web or these sites and find the correct needles and or cartridges. Also look for the make and model of the record changer. Most likely as it's been sitting for a long time, the rubber idler wheel and motor grommets will be hard and may need to be replaced. Also get some denatured alcohol to clean off all the old gummed up grease on the changer mechanism, etc. You may also have to take the motor apart and clean the armature shaft and bearings as they are also probably dried up, slowing the motor down, maybe even causing it to freeze up. (motor should spin real easy and free). Clean and lube the spindle bearing as well. Just remove the small C clip (at the bottom of the spindle) that holds the turntable in place that keeps it from falling off. I usually re-lube with lightweight turbine oil, or you could use another light weight oil or grease. I usually find that oil works best for me. Pay close attention to all the small parts, take pictures and don't lose any small screws, C clips, etc. Record changers are pretty easy to fix, just take your time,
Old 09-20-2016, 11:16 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks for the info. I decided that I'm going to try to get an Astatic 17 from the VM Audio enthusiasts site. I cleaned the rubber idler with alcohol, and it perked the turntable right up. In the meanwhile, my TV broke. I think the UHF cable that goes to the VHF tuner worked itself loose, as I don't have that crystal clear picture anymore. And the convergence is all out of whack after getting it over here.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
the convergence is all out of whack after getting it over here.
If the colors got messed up right after you moved the TV, I would give it a good degaussing before messing with the convergence.

Look at what happened to my CTC-11 after I moved it inside the house. At first, the colors looked awful! When I degaussed it, the colors returned to normal.

A degaussing coil like this will do the job:

This CTC-11 article explains what is going on with degaussing. Scroll down to the section, "Kindly Degauss After Moving!"

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-11Television.htm

If degaussing doesn't improve the colors, then I would look at other causes, but it's best to start with simple, obvious things.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks, Phil. I did degauss it when I got it installed, but I haven't since then. I have to get the UHF problem figured out first though. I'm also having a color bleeding problem. That CTC11 is gorgeous, by the way.

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Old TVs are better!

If degaussing doesn't help, then also check to see if the deflection yoke, purity rings, convergence triad or blue lateral ring hasn't come loose and/or moved. Yes, it could be just magnetized, so degauss it first and see if that helps. Your photo looks more like purity is off, not so much the convergence. As far as the picture being affected by the cable to the UHF tuner, it would only make a difference if you were receiving a UHF signal. Sometimes the problem is interference even if hooked directly to a converter box. With all of the digital units today, fluorescent bulbs, switch mode power supplies, cordless and cell phones, etc they can really mess up the picture. Most likely there is just twin antenna lead going from the screw terminals to the tuner, which can pick up all kinds of junk. In my shop area, I have a cordless drill charger, that if left plugged in, (even if the battery isn't charging) throws all kinds of streaks into a TV picture. I unplug it, the streaks are gone. (Try receiving AM radio stations with either of the 2 dimmer switches turned on in my house. Mostly solid 60hz buzz.) Also by the looks of your crosshatch photo, my guess is that the deflection yoke has slid back on the neck of the tube a little bit. Might just need to be pushed forward a little bit. Just don't over tighten the clamp that hold it in place.
Audiokarma