Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jerome Halphen said that Sanyo made a small TV with this type of tube, and I am certain that I did see a small 3" Sanyo TV in a pink case on a pedestal for sale on eBay a few years ago. I did not know about the Beam Index technology tubes at that time, and did not pay too much attention to that set because it was a Sanyo - I have never been a fan of Sanyo products. I really hope that 1 of these sets surfaces again just to prove that Jerome and I are not crazy!

From Wikipedia:

Sanyo used the bright images to make a new style of tube they called the "lollipop".[12] It used an electron gun arranged at right angles to the display, extending down instead of to the rear. The result was a 3 inch display only 1˝ inches deep, although it was several inches long. They demonstrated the system in a small television similar to the Sony Indextron.

Reference 12: David Lachenbruch, "super-TVs", Popular Science, July 1985, pg. 66 ("Apples and lollipops)

http://books.google.com/books?id=lQA...extron&f=false

Last edited by crtfool; 07-02-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added Reference to Wikipedia and link to Lachenbruch article
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have 2 of them Sanyo sets, & as far as I know, they have conventional CRTs...One of mine is Pepto-Bismol pink, the other is ivory...IIRC, they also made 'em in silver & black. Cute l'il fellers-One of mine needs new caps/attention in the horizontal section...They DO have v. good pictures when working properly.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy G - Can you please post a picture of the set. I do remember exactly what it looks like. I can't be sure it was a Beam Index - Jerome believes it is, and that the model number is 30-CTV1
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have 2 of them Sanyo sets, & as far as I know, they have conventional CRTs...One of mine is Pepto-Bismol pink, the other is ivory...IIRC, they also made 'em in silver & black. Cute l'il fellers-One of mine needs new caps/attention in the horizontal section...They DO have v. good pictures when working properly.
Are you perhaps thinking of the Sharp?... Phil restored one here:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/Sharp3LS36.htm

I just got one in ivory.
jr
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

jr tech - I did see that model Sharp on eBay several times, and I do know that it is not a Beam Index - but, I also did see a similar Sanyo with a completely different pedestal.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
jr tech - I did see that model Sharp on eBay several times, and I do know that it is not a Beam Index - but, I also did see a similar Sanyo with a completely different pedestal.
Cool! Did you once indicate that several viewfinder CRTs were beam index? I assume that these were not lollipop designs, however.
jr
Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

jr tech - Yes, the color CRT viewfinders on the old RCA cameras were Beam Index with a Hitachi made tube - standard CRT configuration, not lollipop design.

Also, here is a link to the Popular Science article that I referenced in an earlier post:

http://books.google.com/books?id=lQA...extron&f=false

You have to scroll up to see the TV and lollipop tube - I have NEVER seen this set.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Duh-Call me Stoopid...Mine are the SHARP 3LS36s as indicated...Nevermind...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I got confused also, so don't feel bad! I got out my ivory one, turned it on and was convinced that it was a shadow mask tube, and was about to post that the Sanyo had a shadow mask, when I realized the TV might have said Sharp on the base... so I grabbed it again... yup, Sharp!
jr
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Not sure how I got here.

"From Sharp minds come Sharp products..."
Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Hi all,

The Sanyo index tube never made it to market. Only shown as a prototype.

Jerome, Thank you very much for the Indextron Service Manuel and other items. Much appreciated!

I won the auction for the white Indextron. You can see it at my website. Just scroll down .... and you access my entire collection pages 1 to 5 on same site in drop down menu tabs. http://www.visions4.net/journal/test.../page-three-a/

Last edited by etype2; 11-10-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: new url
Old 07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

etype2 - Very NICE collection!

You probably broke Jerome's heart with the news about the Sanyo Index Tube. Here is a quote that was posted in another thread by Jerome Halphin:

"Last but not least, Sanyo sold a very limited quantity of the 30-CTV1 4" Beam-Index color TV in the US, 1986. Saw one in the LA area in a pink case, had spent all my $ on a CT-101 and couldn't buy it. Gone forever!"

I know that I saw a set that fits this description on eBay a few years ago - it looked a lot like the Sharp TV referenced above, but with a completely different pedestal. It had a standard style CRT configuration, but I do not know if it was Beam Index. Do you have any knowledge of this set?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Hi Sandy G. Scue me if not up to speed with how this forum works. First off, THANK YOU! Safari: Genius. Sony KV 4000: One of my all time favorites. Panasonic CT 101: Wanted to buy in the day, couldn't afford one. It's amazing, even today. Thanks again, Sandy G.!

Send New Private Message
Old 07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

etype2:
Congratulations on winning the Indextron!
And thanks for the link to your wonderful website...GREAT collection!!!
jr
Audiokarma