Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2016, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm looking to fix a computer monitor with VERY poor convergence.

I know this isn't actually about a TV, but I hope it's close enough to not be off-topic here. I have an early 1990s VGA monitor with VERY poor convergence that I'd like to fix. I've messed with the rings on the CRT neck as much as I dare, and the best picture I get really isn't too far off from the factory positioning (where the white stripe painted down the rings lines up), but that gives me good convergence in the center of the screen and worse convergence the farther I get from there. The absolute worst spots are in the corners of the screen, as white text has a red 'shadow' in the upper left corner and a blue 'shadow' in the lower left corner. The effect is almost like the red part of the picture and the blue part of the picture are 'twisted' in opposite directions from the green part of the picture. I know the first piece of advice when it comes to working on something like this is to replace all the electrolytic capacitors, but before I get into that, I was just wondering if this is a situation where that's likely to help, or if I'm likely to have a more serious problem to fix after that's all done.

If it helps, the monitor is a CompuAdd 51118. On the inside, there are some parts marked JVC, so I'm guessing it's either a re-branded version of a more common monitor or it was manufactured for CompuAdd by JVC.