Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I scanned the Riders section for the GE 810. They are hi-res documents.

The Riders is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccma471hce...20810.pdf?dl=0

The 24x36 schematic is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6iodpr0dy...%2036.pdf?dl=0
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
That TV could very well be the best original finish in existence of that model. For what it's worth I have a parts chassis up in my attic.
You just never see them in nice shape, as opposed to say a 630TS where there's a really nice one around every corner. I wonder why that is??
Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
You just never see them in nice shape, as opposed to say a 630TS where there's a really nice one around every corner. I wonder why that is??
Typically, as with cars, they were cheap and reliable, and got run into the ground until they stopped.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I've been looking at this set for some time and it's time to get on with the restoration.

Here are a few pics of what I'm starting with. It was the usual dirty and a trip to the car wash cleaned it up enough to get started with.

I tested all the tubes and they all tested in the green. Some were pretty low, so those will get replaced.

It looks pretty much unmolested. There was some work done on the chassis but it doesn't look like anything was butchered.

Tomorrow I'll pick up my order of resistors and E-Caps from Mouser and then we'll get serious.

I powered it up on the bench today. I got some audio and a small raster. Then I noticed a small whiff of smoke coming from the back of the chassis. I shut it down right away. Enough of that for sure. At least I know what I have now.

BTW, it looks like this was from run 11? and the serial number is 053219.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM
Workin' Late Again

Wow that one cleaned up real well at the car wash. Almost looks like aluminum, but I'm pretty sure they are cadmium plated steel. Do you ever use anything like Spray 9 before you give them a soak down with the spray wand?
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Wow that one cleaned up real well at the car wash. Almost looks like aluminum, but I'm pretty sure they are cadmium plated steel. Do you ever use anything like Spray 9 before you give them a soak down with the spray wand?
Kevin,
It is CAD plated steel. I guess the dirt "preserved" the CAD plating.

All I do at the car wash is to use the "Presoak" to hose it down. The Presoak is a gentle spray. Then I use the "Spot Free Rinse" to clean off the chassis. Of course I keep about a 3 foot distance from the wand to the chassis when rinsing.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 AM
M is for Memory

The dark anti-glare screen is interesting. I've seen a number of sets without it so I wonder if it was aftermarket or a lesser seen production change or option.

It is incredible how clean that chassis is... about the only time you see the broad surface that clean is on sets where the chassis was mounted vertical.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-27-2020, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your carwash method seems to work really well but it scares me somewhat. I'm concerned about moisture getting into IF cans etc and being trapped there but the proof is in the pudding I suppose as you have done it many times without a problem.
I'll have to try it out on a chassis I don't care about much just to prove it to myself.

Nice set though. I'm sure it will come up a treat in your hands.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

i'd never do such a thing
Old 02-27-2020, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in 1965 my company bought a new Tektronix storage oscilloscope. Tek sent out a technician to give us a class on maintaining the new oscilloscope. He advocated cleaning the chassis periodically with a spray of water. We were floored, but he assured us that was the right way to keep things clean.

We never used water to clean the unit the entire time we owned it. We did use compressed air to blow out the dust from time to time.
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2020, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
Your carwash method seems to work really well but it scares me somewhat. I'm concerned about moisture getting into IF cans etc and being trapped there but the proof is in the pudding I suppose as you have done it many times without a problem.
I'll have to try it out on a chassis I don't care about much just to prove it to myself.

Nice set though. I'm sure it will come up a treat in your hands.
Don't forget that I bake the chassis for several hours in the oven in the Winter or leave it out in the Texas sun during the summer after the car wash.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Spent the last day labeling all the components as usual.

Went to Mouser today and picked up my order. Here are all the components ready to go back in.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
Don't forget that I bake the chassis for several hours in the oven in the Winter or leave it out in the Texas sun during the summer after the car wash.
Texas sun?

you are in the Dallas area?

I ask this because you said that you WENT to mouser, and I know that is where they are. Mansfield, TX.
i get my parts from them, it get here in 1 day UPS ground.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I live in Waxahachie. About a 20 minute drive to Mouser on 287.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 AM
Workin' Late Again

I didn't realize Mouser stocked those yellow axial lead capacitors? Despite all the controversy I still think those are the most accurate modern replacement for our TV's and radios.
Audiokarma